Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Engine swap

Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

I'm about to take delivery of an Unlimited Rubicon. Because we tow, and I'll be going to 35s, I want to do an engine swap ASAP.
- What do you recommend?
- Is it too early to expect a single shop to have a complete solution?
- What can I do with the stock engine?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/motorswap.aspx
Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

You should try looking into AEV (American Expedition Vehicles). They did Hemi swaps for TJ's with no interior mods (same gauges). I'm not sure if they convert JK's yet but thats where I would start. Here's what they the guy emailed me when I asked a couple questions:

"14,500 would be the typical cost using a used motor on an 03 or newer that is already an automatic. (don't have to change the interior) Yes we sell vehicles already converted (new), no we don't buy 4.0L (have too many as is) Typically customer sells the 4.0L and we ship direct to the purchaser."

Their getting a new website but the E-mail address I used was
info@aev-conversions.com and the phone #406-251-2100
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

what are you pulling that you need that much more power?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not much - Starcraft 10RT offroad popup trailer - 4000 lbs fully loaded. Four Wheeler reports the 3.8L to be inadequate with 35s. I'll have 35s PLUS 4000 lb of weight.

Let me just report though, how cool it is to have a comfortable 2 bedroom house with full kitchen & climate control WHEREVER you go - farther than most wheelers will even venture. The 10RT is my favorite thing I've ever bought. I love it when backpackers come up with their eyes popping out - "How did you get THAT thing up here????" - while we're sitting there sipping a glass of wine, eating filet mignon after a nice hot shower.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

the wife and i really want one like that..

i think the new JK is highly under rated...

I bet it'll pull it just fine with 4:10 gears, wait until your JK arrives, You'll be very surprised.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Dan at Burnsville Offroad has done a number of Hemi swaps into JKs already. All instruments work and the installations look like they were done by Daimler Chrysler. The CANbus system used in the JK makes the interface between Hemi and JK work well. It's easier than putting one in a TJ.

Burnsville Offroad is putting a 6.1 Hemi in my JK for our Off-Road magazine project.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Default Geez-

Brian -
I like your style. We used to back pack - but having more creature comforts along sure makes it nice. We trailer now on some weekends - We eat better on the trail than at home.
I'd say you're looking at a Hemi as I haven't heard or seen any SBC conversions done yet.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Sponsor

Another motor to keep in mind is the 4.7. I will be starting one of those swaps in 3 to 4 weeks and will post how that goes. I will be eventually offering install kits for all these swaps so the do it yourselfer can handle it at home. The 4.7 will be quite affordable too especially with how cheap a used engine can be had for. I have a camper just like yours and have pulled it with several of my TJ's over the years. Its hard to go back to a tent after the comforts of the camper.
Dan
Old 12-28-2006, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I definitely want to be on your list to advise when you have the install kits ready. I am not afraid to get dirty...I need to beed up my 4 door so I can trailer my cj crawler when I want em both there.

Quick Reply: Engine swap