Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fix for Daystar dash panel not fitting properly

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having trouble getting mine to fit with one side always popping out.

I found out it was because of the wires from the compass. You have to tuck them in completely behind the dash for the panel to fit. The wires put just enough pressure to pop the panel off if they are not tucked in. Mine fits perfectly now.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I found this thread, as I was having problems installing my Daystar dash panel as well, and it frustrated me. I thought it would just click in and lots of people report no problems. Well, this is what happened to me.

After effortlessly getting the stock panel off and changing the clips, the Daystar panel did not come down at the back. This photo shows how the panel 'rests' without pressure being applied to it. When I try to click it in, it will just pop back up. There is clearly too much pressure.

I did some investigation and found that the recessed area is probably the culprit. There are scratch marks on it after trying to fit the panel a number of times. It is also visible that the thin 'tube' where the screw goes is already cracked ... and I'm super careful.

I arrived at the same solution as Mostllystock, and scraped away material from the back of the dash area, see the next photo. As I didn't want to cut away too much - and am no good with tools - this took me two hours.

Now, the panel fits without pressure and does not pop out anymore. I also took the tip from another thread and found a thin mouse mat, separated the bottom part with the black rubber, cut it to size for the two recessed areas in the panel, and glued them in. Now, I can put my phone and other stuff there and it won't slide around.

Just thought I should add this, thanks everyone for a great JK forum.

Quick Reply: Fix for Daystar dash panel not fitting properly