Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Freedom Top Repair / Repaint (Bedlined)

Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duplicolor Bedliner

Nice write-up!! You made the fiberglass repair appear to be so easy that I'm trying to figure out a project for its use now.

Something to consider next time you're spraying is the addition of a "pistol grip" handle. I've tried spraying without the grip and it was very hard to control the amount of spray. With the grip - it was a breeze. Bought mine at Walmart for like $3. It also allowed me to spray the surface directly without having to use the overspray approach (when the Duplicolor begins to run out, it does start blotching).

Below is my ARB front bumper (Duplicolor can has the grip I mentioned above).

Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

I think you bought the hard top I was looking at on Craigslist. I guess I will continue looking haha. Looks Great!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Great Job! Like the texture
Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yoder141
I think you bought the hard top I was looking at on Craigslist. I guess I will continue looking haha. Looks Great!
it was in worse shape then he said it was.. until i got it home i really found out what needed to be done. The part that rests on the Jeep in the rear was all cracked and messed up, and the rear driver and passenger section (C pillar) was delaminated from the side pieces.. i fixed and reinforced alot in order to keep my peace of mind.

you should come wheel with us sometime, the seller is a member of a local club in eastern ohio.

JK-Rubi;
before i bought all the liner i searched on the forum and saw your thread, that bumper looks great and it's one of my favorites. you did a grade A job on that. I'll keep an eye out for one of those triggers, some i have seen are like $15
and the fiberglass is a bit tricky at first, but i remembered working with this sloppy stuff with my dad on my boat years ago. Ruined a bunch of shirts and pants thats for sure.

thanks for the compliments
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogmehC
Greatjob man! Is there a reason you didn't spray the top of the top? In the pics, it looks like you left it the smooth mopar finish.

@Greyrider, i think most autoparts stores have the Duplicolor...
x2 was there a reason for this?
mine is cracked as well and i am for sure going to be doing this mod..but
im just making sure why u didnt paint the top part before i do it??
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ZBroadbent
why u didnt paint the top part before i do it??

The sides and back were all scratched to hell and i wasn't sure if the duplicolor's finish would be too drastically different then the mopar finish. After finishing the sides and back i realized i'm better off just doing the whole thing. After this week i'm going to mask it all off again and bedline the top and the freedom panels. it doesn't take very long except for the masking off of the interior and the windows and that.

Due to summer semester of college and a busy weekend i didnt have time to finish the painting that day, and i needed the top ON the jeep for a company to install the rear glass. liked it so much the top hasnt come off yet, except the freedom panels. Everything will be bedlined ...eventually.

work in progress soon to be done. the interior will get painted as well.. eventually
Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Finished bedlining the top on sunday morning, but i went and screwed up the top of the rear section, so monday i woke up and fixed my screw up by masking it all off again, sanding the top of the rear section and then hitting it again with the last of my bedliner. Now i am finished messing with my top for now, it looks great and i can't wait to get it back on the Jeep somehow. Pics of the finished product:

Freedom panels also came out great, i'll post pics of those eventually too
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Top looks great. thought about doing stock bumpers on mine if bed liner will stick to them
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding job.

I have been considering this myself. How many cans of bedliner did you use? I know I will have to use more (4-dr vs. 2-dr), but at least I'll have a starting point. Have you had any durability issues with the finish? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

good job!!!

Quick Reply: Freedom Top Repair / Repaint (Bedlined)