Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hanging doors from the ceiling....

Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging doors from the ceiling....

I needed a more convenient place to stoor my doors since I have two roommates and am in college... so, I bought some heavy duty rubber coated hooks from Home Depot today and screwed them into the ceiling in my bedroom to hang the doors by... here are some pictures...

Do you all think that one hook on each door is strong enough to support the weight of the door? I'm a little iffy about this... I don't want to have the doors hanging up and then come home to find the hooks torn out of the ceiling and the doors in need to heavy repair/replacement.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

i would probably get 2 hooks per door to be safe. and try to screw them into a stud if you can.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im guessing they are screwed into studs or the would be on the floor. but I think at least two per door would be the best idea. Another $10.00 for hooks is much cheaper than thousands in door damage.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't think those are strong enough. I bought a heavy duty rack for each door at home depot. They were 10 bucks each and hold 75 pounds. They don't hang from the ceiling though, I have them mounted in the wall studs in my garage and they work great. They have two foam arms to hang the door by. PM me if you want some pictures, it will be at least a week before I can get pictures and by that time this thread will probably be buried several pages back.

Edit:

If I remember correctly, I have some hooks like yours but they only recommend 25 pounds, so if you want to still use those hooks, I would use 3 per door, as the front doors weigh about 60 pounds.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bkiehn
I wouldn't think those are strong enough. I bought a heavy duty rack for each door at home depot. They were 10 bucks each and hold 75 pounds. They don't hang from the ceiling though, I have them mounted in the wall studs in my garage and they work great. They have two foam arms to hang the door by. PM me if you want some pictures, it will be at least a week before I can get pictures and by that time this thread will probably be buried several pages back.

Edit:

If I remember correctly, I have some hooks like yours but they only recommend 25 pounds, so if you want to still use those hooks, I would use 3 per door, as the front doors weigh about 60 pounds.
these recommend no more than 75lbs hanging vertically, and 40lbs horizontally... so. i think weight isnt an issue... the weld warning is scary, but i think im gonna get two and have peace of mind..
Old 08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blackmarketg4
these recommend no more than 75lbs hanging vertically, and 40lbs horizontally... so. i think weight isnt an issue... the weld warning is scary, but i think im gonna get two and have peace of mind..
was that problem not fixed on the Jk? the tj's door frame was welded, but the jk's look to be solid.

Quick Reply: Hanging doors from the ceiling....