Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hard top vs soft top, freedom tops??

Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
ac1, what cargo net on the back is that. and also how do you like it.? i was looking to buy one for our Jeep. Thanks
It's the Smittybuilt CRES. I have the soft top rear door surrounds & tailgate bar. With those it ids by far my favorite top. Fits very snug, keeps people from easily reaching in the rear & removing anything. Much less noise than I expected. Finally I love the look.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

initially, I really wanted a hartop but the dealer did not have any in stock that I wanted. After driving around in my soft top in my 2012, I think it was a good idea to get soft top alone; because it's pretty darn quiet for being a soft top and it's easy to put the top down and up. I am little biased since i live in SD but soft top is quite nice. I guess for the plastic windows, if you get them all busted up, you can get aftermarket replacement windows...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have both and my hardtop just takes up space in the garage. It's better to have it and not need it than vice versa tho. I guess it boils down to personal preference.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's nice to have the options depending on the situation/weather.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ac1brooks

It's the Smittybuilt CRES. I have the soft top rear door surrounds & tailgate bar. With those it ids by far my favorite top. Fits very snug, keeps people from easily reaching in the rear & removing anything. Much less noise than I expected. Finally I love the look.
Cool, thanks man and yeah, I have the soft top on right now so when I get the cargo net it should be all ready to go to install.?

Edit: oops.. thread steal? Guess I will contribute: p I will have to say I like the soft top a lot better than the hard top. Its easier to put up and down, and I don't mind the extra noise when driving it. So yeah, I guess its all personal preference to what you want.. granted I do have a hardtop, but it hasn't been one since we bought the jeep, so I guess I'm biased?? 0.o

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 01-16-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Swap

Mine came with the Freedom hard top , anyone know if i would ever try the soft top route, is it as simple as swaping them or are there mods needed to apply the soft top version?

"BLEAK EFFECT USING MY DROID INCREDIBLE II CELLPHONE CAMERA"
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MEANIEGREENIE
Mine came with the Freedom hard top , anyone know if i would ever try the soft top route, is it as simple as swaping them or are there mods needed to apply the soft top version?

"BLEAK EFFECT USING MY DROID INCREDIBLE II CELLPHONE CAMERA"
It depends. OEM will require you to buy stock parts to mount them. Trek Top NX comes with everything you need.

Quick Reply: Hard top vs soft top, freedom tops??