Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

hate the 3.8. ANY diesel swap options out there?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drumnatural
Luckyyyyyyyyy

Not jealous of the automatic tranny though
You need to remember that the auto is the Mercedes variant, not the Jeep slush box, and it takes the torque from 410Nm with the manual to 460nm in the auto - Not sure what those numbers are in "non metric"

I've driven manual Land Rovers all my life, and this is my first ever auto 4x4 and I find it more fun to drive than the previous Disco as I can spend more time pointing and placing the Jeep, and not have to worry about the gearing.

I find it makes the driving more fun because I can concentrate on it far more.

The other pluses of the diesel are an average so far of 28mpg, and NO oil usage issues. Its a remarkably tractable engine in the bush, and in city driving.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wish you would have one downside to the diesel engine. Lol. Woulda been nice of you to say something even If it wasnt true wouldn't make us as envious lol.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by genesbro

If you go to that web site they have photos of the build for the swap into the JK of the diesel and they will do one right now for you if you want or they will have a kit for the diys later.
That's what I'm talking about!
Thanks for the info!

Can I mate it to a manual trans? Or better yet keep the 6speed manual drivetrain I have?

Next question, which is better, cummins swap or the JK diesel currently offered outside the US?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I asked the builder that very question about mating it to the 6spd, haven't heard yet. Will post more as I find out. I would bet that little cummins has more power and better mileage.

Ok just went and checked and the JK 6spd couldn't take the extra torque. It will be mated with the NV4500 for manual and the raptor 700r for automatic. It can mate with the stock xfer case or with an Atlas unit. Sounds like they are going to have lots of options and will let the client fill out a pdf form when they are ready to get one which will be customized for each person pretty much.
They had one unit with 365hp and 600 ft/lb torque for 8,000 dollars, what a monster. They said the normal swap will be about half of hemi swap and you will get more low end torque and lots more mpg.

jeffsjeepyard.com/4x4-photo-gallery/4x4-photo-gallery.php?GalleryId=77

There is the link if you copy and paste that into the address bar behind the usuall leader stuff. Man this is going to make the JK the best offroad platform there is out there.

Last edited by genesbro; 05-22-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added updated info
Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Cummins Diesel they put in the HD trucks weights about 1000lbs. There is no way it would work in a JK.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
People slap the 4bt's in the lighterweight TJs all day long, so it would certainly work in the JK.
I've seen them in TJ based buggies, but can't imagine doing it in a road going JK. Even at that, a 6.7 cummins is probably about 400 lbs heavier than the 4bt.

Last edited by 181; 05-22-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lopezv123
Yeah, there's a diesel option for JKs in Europe. It's an online 4 but not an option here due to emissions. Was just hoping there was something else possible since I know some people have converted YJs to diesels.
This diesel sucks. I would like to have your 3.8 V6
Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brice de Nice
This diesel sucks. I would like to have your 3.8 V6
Bonjour

Perhaps you could elaborate on why the diesel sucks?

I'd have thought that with petrol prices in the EU (approx US$5.50/gal), the last engine you would want is a gas guzzling V6.

Last edited by Aussie Jeepster; 05-22-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Super Freak

idk if its been said yet but the cummins 4bt is out of production i believe.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by genesbro
I asked the builder that very question about mating it to the 6spd, haven't heard yet. Will post more as I find out. I would bet that little cummins has more power and better mileage.

Ok just went and checked and the JK 6spd couldn't take the extra torque. It will be mated with the NV4500 for manual and the raptor 700r for automatic. It can mate with the stock xfer case or with an Atlas unit. Sounds like they are going to have lots of options and will let the client fill out a pdf form when they are ready to get one which will be customized for each person pretty much.
They had one unit with 365hp and 600 ft/lb torque for 8,000 dollars, what a monster. They said the normal swap will be about half of hemi swap and you will get more low end torque and lots more mpg.

jeffsjeepyard.com/4x4-photo-gallery/4x4-photo-gallery.php?GalleryId=77

There is the link if you copy and paste that into the address bar behind the usuall leader stuff. Man this is going to make the JK the best offroad platform there is out there.
Thanks man. This is exactly what I'm looking for!

Quick Reply: hate the 3.8. ANY diesel swap options out there?