Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

HIDs Installed - SO much better!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
Well, yeah. Laws are just words, rules, etc. And it's only illegal if you get caught, like speeding.
Only thing is that it's a $10,000.00 fine in the US ---- so far only a couple of vendors have been fined.
But some states and jurisdictions are taking it more seriously than others.
I wouldn't drive VA interstates at night with illegal HIDs....

Wow - I'm searching for info on HIDs & on 3 different jeep forums & I find posts from you being an ass to people asking about HIDs. Who are you to preach to anyone about laws etc? Your opinion on HIDs& People like you in general aren't needed on forums.....or anywhere really.
100% agreed. Just ignore that guy, Hidweller. I just got into two arguments with him on another jeep forum over lighting. There's no room for debate with him and in the end he and his forum friends reduce themselves to name calling and intelligence questioning. Best thing we can do is just ignore his posts all together because the fact remains that he's no lighting expert and he provides zero help if you look through all the crap he posts about laws.

HID lights are perfectly safe and and excellent lighting choice if installed and aimed correctly, and if you choose a bulb color that is not screaming with blue color. You are not going to get in trouble with a properly setup HID jeep conversion.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Side note, if you have HID error code eliminators from DDM they IN FACT do eliminate LED lighting flicker if installed inline with the positive and negative power source for the light on the factory lighting harness. I installed them on my low beams of the phase 7 Truck Lites that once flickered slightly and now do not. The capacitor in that error code eliminator smooths out the voltage for the LED light from the PWM that occurs on 2012 jeeps. The capacitor is 100% safe for your stock headlight harness because the voltage coming out of the harness meets a capacitor that then returns a constant resistance to the computer. The jeep quits trying to pulse voltage to figure out a different light power draw that the LED lights can operate in. It tricks your computer into thinking it has halogens and stops freaking out. This is how one can avoid paying $120 for a direct battery light harness and just install the capacitors inline with the stock headlight wiring. $16 vs $120... I'll take the $16 route any day of the week. Don't drink the cool-aid that LED lights require a direct battery wiring harness.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome! I had commented on this topic (maybe earlier in this thread) about this and had the run around with the anti HID guys. Glad there are more people who want to just tell them to put up or shut up. I have not seen one reference to this "law" that has become their holy grail. You know they are searching for it like crazy because they want nothing more than to shove it down your throat, but all I hear is crickets........
You guys will get a kick out of this! That dude Hilldweller is now saying replacing fog light bulbs is illegal! What a joke. He's a frigg'n idiot. I've had two moderators PM me saying he's basically the lighting god and everything he says is right and that I will be kicked off that forum if I talk about "illegal HID" lights again or keep calling him out for posting false information about lighting. He has yet to post any facts about lighting laws and should just stop referencing them all together.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schnizdawg
You guys will get a kick out of this! That dude Hilldweller is now saying replacing fog light bulbs is illegal! What a joke. He's a frigg'n idiot. I've had two moderators PM me saying he's basically the lighting god and everything he says is right and that I will be kicked off that forum if I talk about "illegal HID" lights again or keep calling him out for posting false information about lighting. He has yet to post any facts about lighting laws and should just stop referencing them all together.
If you're going to quote me, Brian, do a better job of it please.

What I said is that it's illegal to replace a filament light source with a rebased HID capsule or LED in a reflector that was designed for a filament burner.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
http://www.sema.org/files/attachment...-Equipment.pdf

I rarely come to this forum; I did previously due to the camaraderie I had with Ken. I see no point in bandying words with you.
If anyone is curious about actual vehicular lighting laws, application, and products, I heartily recommend joining Candlepowerforum and browsing the Automotive section. The forum is moderated by a high level professional in the field and everything there is unbiased fact.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

If you're going to quote me, Brian, do a better job of it please.

What I said is that it's illegal to replace a filament light source with a rebased HID capsule or LED in a reflector that was designed for a filament burner.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
http://www.sema.org/files/attachment...-Equipment.pdf

I rarely come to this forum; I did previously due to the camaraderie I had with Ken. I see no point in bandying words with you.
If anyone is curious about actual vehicular lighting laws, application, and products, I heartily recommend joining Candlepowerforum and browsing the Automotive section. The forum is moderated by a high level professional in the field and everything there is unbiased fact.
Daniel sterns is an idiot and if you read this forum in full you would not be quoting that jackass. His information is outdated, false, and his products are not that good. Others have already said this and I agree fully with them.

There is no law regulating type of bulb that should be in a reflector vs projector housing. If HID bulbs were illegal in reflector housings then why do major automotive companies like Lexus/Toyota put HID in reflector housings? Quit claiming laws that regulate putting HID in cars is illegal because they do not exist! Period....

If anyone is looking for better lighting they can buy HID kit in a color that is not blue or purple, install correctly, aim correctly, and if needed modify the light so it does not blast other drivers. If one goes through all those steps then they will never receive a ticket, never. It's the fact that some just ignore most steps required to install HID lights correctly that gets them in trouble.

Just go away already. No one is buying your BS legal advice.

Last edited by schnizdawg; 06-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: HIDs Installed - SO much better!