Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade Roof Rack?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Roof Rack?

Has anyone out there made a homemade rear roof rack. It seems simple enough but i've never seen one. Here's what I was thinking: Building a simple frame out of 2x4's which I would attach by bolting through the two existing holes (~3/4) near the roll bar. In the rear I would attach using 2 large U - bolts around the roll bars. I'm thinking of just attaching a plywood deck and building an open box with some 2x6's. This would be attached with the top down of course and would mean I wouldn't be able to put the top up, but it's summertime. Any comments, suggestions, etc>?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

I really would like to build one seeing as it's not to complicated but I would use metal over wood.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

i'd prefer metal too, but i am no welder and wood is cheaper
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wooden homemade roof rack built on topless jk

Well despite all the responses encouraging a metal roof rack, I built one out of wood on a jk with no top and am impressed with it's initial endurance. I might go into greater detail of the build later, but in synopsis, I built it cheap (~ $50 - $75) & quickly due to lack of resources. I plan on beefing it up for peace of mind, but I had to go with the resources I could easily find & quickly build, so we could take our dogs & gear camping this weekend. It withstood very high winds (anyone that was around western Colorado or eastern Utah, Moab area this Memorial Day Weekend, knows what I am talking about) and a ~ 60 mph collision. It is made of 2x4's for the base, with 5/8" bolts and washers connecting the front to the 2 pre-drilled 3/4" holes just in front of the factory sound bar covering. In the rear I secured it using 2- 3" Pipe U bolts. For the sides I used 2x6's and 2 x 4's planked for the base. I would have secured the rear better, however I couldn't find stronger, wider, or any better U bolts quickly (I went to 4 different hardware stores). I would definitely recommend a better way of securing the rear, using stronger and more U bolts, however I used what I could find and it withstood my weekend testing. I secured my gear using 2 - ratchet straps over the top, connected to the rear seat loops. In regard to what the rack endured: I drove to Moab Fri afternoon and back early morning sun in gusty ~ 30 - 50 winds. Sat. (without any load) we did the Top of the World Trail, with no problem. Not even a mile from my home, very early sunday morning (we had to leave early because the winds were too intense for tent camping) we were struck by a toyota celica racing at least 50-60 Mph, while we were stopped. The rack/gear didn't move a bit. Once again, I would recommend using more / stronger bolts to secure the rear, however my build withstood a hellava test run. So far I'm impressed. Pics to follow.

Last edited by grandjunktion; 05-31-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11215.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	165866Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11219.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	165867
Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry about your Jeep but that roof rack looks really nice. That's the sort of thing I had in mind because I'd have to top off. I would appreciate details and more pictures if you have them.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe you could build a new grill and bumper out of a nice pine!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5895.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	171652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5894.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	171653Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5893.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	171654here's mine that is a light weight design. I did it for hauling the Christmas tree out of the forest but I have used it for other light items as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

when I was about 17 yrs old, I made one out of threaded metal conduit bought at home depot. They come in different sizes and can be connected together using "T" intersections or 90 degree angles. I then used black wire shelving and lined the bottom of the roof rack which was safety wired together. Now looking back it was pretty hokey but I was on a budget and I used what I could. Good luck to ya!

Quick Reply: Homemade Roof Rack?