Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Installed RIPP Mod Long Tube Headers!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Installed RIPP Mod Long Tube Headers!!!

Installed my RIPP long tube header a few weekends ago! I will not bore you install details as there are several build threads already that go over all that. Bottom line is: it's badass.

Install was relatively easily and took me and 2 buddies about 6 hours or so. We didn't even really follow the instructions it was so straight forward. I got the full kit with headers, DiabloSport InTune programmer and Flowmaster Hushpower resonator. Total invested was about $2500. According to their specs it's around 25-35 additional HP and 30-40 ft lbs torque. Sounds better, drives better…couldn't be happier with the investment overall. More specs on it here.

I had a cracked stock exhaust manifold so had to do something. Instead of wasting an afternoon and a few hundred $ replacing with another crappy stock one or aftermarket short tube header that would give me zero power benefit - I decided to go all out and do the RIPP.

Couple of things I would note if anyone plans on doing this:

1. Tie off all your O2 Sensor wires (they come with extensions that are actually too long). I very nearly burned right through one wire when it was hanging down and touching the hot tubes.

2. I added the EVO ProTek Tranny and Exhaust skid plate to protect the investment on the trails while wheeling: EVO: Bumper/Armor/Skids, ProTek Exhaust & Tranny Cross-member Skid.

3. Come on RIPP, no stickers?!?! For $2100 gimma a damn sticker at least! That'd be even more HP after all. No worries - I have my own decal cutter and made my own stickers. :lmao:

4. New header gaskets would of been nice for the price. I got stock replacements from local dealership.

5. Hushpower resonator and a good muffler is a MUST. It's loud and without it has an almost deafening "rasp" around 3-3,500 RPM on acceleration. I ended up removing my previous aftermarket muffler I had and putting on a Dynomax Turbo cat back muffler with dual tips the following weekend (Dual - 2.5" Axle-Back System - Super Turbo).

6. I also added a Performance Distributors Fire Power kit with Screaming Demon coil pack and Live Wire plug wires with some high temp boots (Jeep 3.8 FirePower Ignition Kit (2007-2011) « Performance Distributors Performance Distributors). My stock wires were shot and needed something that would hold up to the hight heat.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

You must be amped! That's a lot of power!
Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you liking your setup? Any problems?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsmittyund03
How are you liking your setup? Any problems?
Year and a half later I'm still loving the headers and tune. I only have a few comments:

1. It's really sluggish on the low end. Kicks in around 2500 RPM but before that there is a noticeable poo poo power. Might of been this crappy all along - I honestly don't recall. Either way this is the same low end power that I'm accustomed to "loosing" (aka power band shift) on any car I've ever done any bolt on mods to (CAI intakes, plenum spacers, etc).

2. I have a hesitation and shutter around 3,500-4,000 RPM when accelerating quickly and winding through 3rd and 4th gears. I suspect this is the new plugs I installed at the same time. Just haven't had the change them to see.

3. Now I REALLY want the RIPP supercharger.

Quick Reply: Installed RIPP Mod Long Tube Headers!!!