Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JK versus Piece of Angle Iron

Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK versus Piece of Angle Iron

Take a look at the damage below:

While traveling down the interstate (from Mississippi to Texas) with my family a piece of angle iron (about 3 feet long) came off of a trailer in front of me. It made a horrible sound/feel as it passed under my 2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It finally lodged itself into the rear driver's wheel/tire. This created a massive blowout which produced body damage, tore off part of the rear fender, damaged the brake rotor, and damaged the rear bumper.

The computer system on the JK may have saved us from a horrible accident. the ESP, TCS, antilock, and what seems like several other systems engaged. The dash lit up like a christmas tree. This allowed me to manuver the JK to the next available exit witout slipping, sliding, flipping, or any other loss of control.

I was able to change the tire using the spare and continue on the journey.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

dammit man, glad everyone is ok!

Chalk one up for ESP!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Man sorry to hear about that that bites bad good thing no one got hurt was this on I-10
Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 07 Jk and i know what your takling about on the dash...8 months after getting it i was T-boned on the Drived side...the second i was hit the dash lite up like a tree! lights everywhere...and the steering wheel actually turned by itslef the opposite directing the momentum should have taken it...so i know the computer was doing that itself...I think the Jk have an amazing saftey system...much greather than previous wranglers.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

omg!!!! glad you and your family are ok! sorry to hear that..and there's so many negative things that we could say about the traction control systems off road but in this case i bet you're glad you had it. so did the vehicle that was pulling the trailor even know this happened??
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow i'm glad everybody came out okay! i'm sure it really scared you all pretty bad. good thing for all computerized safety stuff. looks pretty bad!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone was ok. It was on I-10 in Vidor, TX. In a construction zone where you are between two concrete barriers. It was scary to say the least. My wife had to rock me back and forth to break the suction on the seat!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

glad to hear everyone is ok. that is why I always keep my distance from those trucks, you just never know.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had something similar happen while I was driving my dads truck several years ago on I-40. I never saw it and the front tire picked it up and it bounced around under the truck and punctured a hole in the bed and took a chunk out of the exhaust. Had to put a complete new bed on the truck.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad everyone is ok. I heard about this today at work from a mutual friend.

How come you left the dog part of the story out?

Quick Reply: JK versus Piece of Angle Iron