Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

K&N Filter

Old 07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
I don't see the logic here. If there is no noticeable performance gain, they suck at filtering fine particles, they cost a fortune, and they require cleaning and oiling maintenance, why would you use one? My son is always trying to get me to buy one and I keep asking him "Why?" if I see no improvement in performance but I give up filtering ability. I'll stick with the tried and true paper throw aways thanks.

Well.... I'm gonna play my own devil's advocate here for some strange reason. The K&N's doooooooo flow well...better than SOME. I saw it first hand years ago when my buddy and I decided to race each other: his a newer 2-wheel drive GMC (IIRC) 1500, mine an Older 4X4 F-150. In rounds one and two (with the stock filter on) I'd beat him off the line but he'd pull on me fast and get out ahead by about 1 truck lengh (me about even with his back bumper) and we'd stay right there. Threw on the K&N and to my amazement and his horror I was suddenly in the lead by about 1.5 truck lengths and pulling ahead & away from him.......

But now enter the jeep: The 3.8 already flows pretty well with the stock aitbox and stock filter. If a $400 hyoertech Max energy can/will *Only* give you an 8 hp gain (thats EIGHT horespower) on regular fuel....kinda gotta ask how much is that K&N gonna help matters??????? What? maybe another 2 hp. A hypertech, if it lives up to the data- will cost roughly $400 sooooooo 400/8= $50 per extra horsey. The K&N running what $275 at some places--- 275/2hp= $137 per extra pony. Now I'm guessin on the K&N and the Jeep(yes, whole shebang- not just a drop in filter but the whole CAI)......but seems a pretty tall order to think the K&N's gonna net more HP than a hypertech; so from the absolute optimal gains you'd get from it....I still dont think the increased dirt passbye, and the pain in the arse it is to clean the sucker that its worth it for too many peeps.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

The K&N dropin is like $70, but I assume you're talking about the CAI.

All you nay-sayers, give me an example of an engine problem/failure that's due to the filter letting in too much dirt.

For me, the fact that it's cleanable, more water resistant, and might give me slightly better mileage or power is worth it.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by noot
The K&N dropin is like $70, but I assume you're talking about the CAI.

All you nay-sayers, give me an example of an engine problem/failure that's due to the filter letting in too much dirt.

For me, the fact that it's cleanable, more water resistant, and might give me slightly better mileage or power is worth it.

Thats kinda what I'm thinking......they have been selling filters for years and years and they pay for a new enginr if the filter ruins yours. Common sense tells me they would not still be in business if these things were bad. Another thing, most nascar racers use them and they would be sucking in all kindsa bs into their engine if it were so terrible. I would like to see some data from an independant firm before I went off half cocked telling people they are not worth crap. My toyota had over 160k miles when I sold it and K&N was the only filter it ever saw.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The reason I bought a K&N dropin is b/c I do not want to keep supporting my dealer by purchasing air filters.

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Thats kinda what I'm thinking......they have been selling filters for years and years and they pay for a new enginr if the filter ruins yours.
I assume that you are out the money up front while they legaly defend themselves. This came from the website. I hope I never get into this.

Pledge Details
K&N warrants that a properly installed and maintained K&N product will not cause harm to any engine component and will not result in a warranty denial. We will promptly reimburse the consumer for the cost of the repair if a dealership denies warranty coverage as a result of a K&N product. In order to receive reimbursement, a consumer must provide the following:

A written statement or repair order from the dealership in which the dealership blames the problem or warranty denial on a K&N product.

A written request to the dealership to send the broken part directly to K&N at K&N’s expense. We will need the evidence.

Your cooperation in helping us pursue our claim for reimbursement from the dealership.

K&N will then contact the dealership and insist they present evidence to support their allegation or reimburse K&N for the cost of the repair. We strive to exceed consumer expectations. Customer service can be reached at 1-800-858-3333.

Last edited by RocksHurt; 07-21-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

NO WHERE did I say it ruined engines....it just draws in more dirt I dunno how peeps read more into it..... which may or may not lead to more/increased wear on SOME parts

As for the Nascar example....pooer analogy as the motors are torn down and rebuilt after every race.....

I ran mine for close to 70K on my truck too: about the only thing I saw was dirtier oil changes

Common sense tells me they would not still be in business if these things were bad
Not exactly..... PLENTY of businesses still stay in biz simply becayuse they have GREAT marketing, just looksie around the board here for all the *gas saver* junk mentioned-- its been around for years though they've all been debunked. Just like the HHO machines, just like the magnet fuel optimizers: newwwwww crowds of peeps join the ranks of the new-car or first time drivering club and just dont know half of the scams are the same scams that have been around for years. Now I'm NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT saying K&N is a scam.... it is using some questionable statements IMO when it says it flows better, gives you better gas milage etc.........
I simply do NOT want peeps thinking that they're buying an AWSOME product. Give the peeeeeeps the FACTS and let them decide on thier own-- not brainwashed due to marketing slogans. The HYPE is there...just not the data........

And as said- one man's dream is another's nightmare: I absolutely got sick & tired of having to clean the sucker after each outting to the woods & rocks. Now YOU might like doing that stuff: but while you're still hosing down the K&N with cleaner...I've already just swaped the old for new paper filter and am buttoning up & am done. As for more *water resistant*???????? are you serious? C'mon..... Better MPG's???????? Point to one valid test where the K&N actually SAVES you money..... Increased AIRFLOW means the computer will INCREASE FUEL DELIVERY
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
NO WHERE did I say it ruined engines....it just draws in more dirt I dunno how peeps read more into it..... which may or may not lead to more/increased wear on SOME parts
Hey hey I didn't mean to step on toes or point fingers at all Just saying that the "it draws more dirt" isn't really a valid con, unless it truly causes problems.

Originally Posted by deconstructionist

As for more *water resistant*???????? are you serious? C'mon..... Better MPG's???????? Point to one valid test where the K&N actually SAVES you money..... Increased AIRFLOW means the computer will INCREASE FUEL DELIVERY
Because it's oily, I'd say it's not going to absorb water as readily as the paper filters. No proof here, just a guess. First time I drove through water, 9/10's of the stock paper filter was brown with mud/water, and it weighed about 43 lbs

Increased fuel delivery means more power, which means you go faster. You let off the throttle, less fuel delivery. Your argument doesn't really work here...

Simple thinking says that less restriction anywhere WILL lead to power increase due to more efficiency. Whether it's noticeable or not is another matter. Whether airflow is the/a bottleneck or not is also another matter.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
I don't see the logic here. If there is no noticeable performance gain, they suck at filtering fine particles, they cost a fortune, and they require cleaning and oiling maintenance, why would you use one?
Those pretty much cover the reasons I don't. I have run K&N filters in other vehicles, and in several I have had massive gains in both power and fuel economy. I attribute those to having poorly designed original filters, and the JK is pretty close to perfect off the factory line.

I personally don't buy the "better in water" or "cleanable" excuses for having one. These are really nebulous benefits that I can't validate as being worthy of discussion. Water issues are with depth and design of intake, if you need better in water then buy a snorkel. As for cleanable, there are oil filters, tranny filters, etc. that can be cleaned too. But I still use a disposable.

If I had unlimited funds, maybe I'd do this, but I have better places to spend my cash. Unfortunately lately it's in the gas tank...

Jeff
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeff@zina.com
I personally don't buy the "better in water" or "cleanable" excuses for having one. These are really nebulous benefits that I can't validate as being worthy of discussion. Water issues are with depth and design of intake, if you need better in water then buy a snorkel.
I don't think it's better for water when submerged... but simply when you get a bit of water in to the box itself, via splashes etc. The stock paper filter will absorb any water that comes into contact with it, sponge-like, whereas the oily K&N will likely repel at least a bit of it.

As for cleanable, there are oil filters, tranny filters, etc. that can be cleaned too. But I still use a disposable.
Err... is this a reason NOT to use the cleanable ones? Just because you don't, doesn't mean it's a valid reason to not use one.

Unfortunately lately it's in the gas tank...
Too true
Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only paid 50 bucks for my filter at pepboys. I cant prove it but I know every little bit of help this engine gets is worth it. BTW in the city I get 16mph on 35's consistently. Better then most?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkMatt
So let me get this right. Theoretically if you never go off road and just stay on pavement the K&N filter is awesome, but if you take it off road it lets in too much dirt and it sucks. So is it worth the money for a jeep that stays in town?
Anyone want to answer this for me?

Quick Reply: K&N Filter