Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

KevinMac's Semi-Budget Build...Project Deathstar

Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I always runs with my lights on. Even when I had auto headlights, I put a piece of cardboard over the sensor.

Was the stalk the only thing you needed to install here to get the "auto" lights working this way? If I could get my lights to come on, regardless, and then go off when I shut off the vehicle, I'd be happy.
Hard to say for sure as I installed the stalk at the same time I did the sun sensor for the ATC. But if i had to take a guess I would say yes, this is what gave it that limited function.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default It's a good weekend so far!!

I was able to pick up my Gobi from FedEx Freight yesterday!! I got it home and unpacked it all last night. 1st impression is that this thing is stout!! The welds are all clean, the powdercoating looks great and it just looks they did everything right. I can clearly see why they charge more than others. Now, the downside...I have the AEV rear bumper which requires special mounting brackets for the roof rack. Those have not yet arrived as they ship direct from Gobi.

I was able to go ahead and mount the light bar and wind deflector though since they are independent of the rest of the rack. The bar and W/D both fit well and went on in under 20 minutes! I took it for a quick spin after mounting and 2 things happened. The 1st is that I noticed a ton of wind noise and buffeting. I see some W/D adjustments in my future to address that.

The 2nd thing that happened is that Discount Tires called as I was pulling into my driveway. My new shoes had been mounted and balanced and were ready for pickup. it was an expensive week to say the least!!!

- Costs:
* Gobi Stealth Roof Rack - $1430
* Gobi AEV Bumper Brackets - $135
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New shoes!!

As I'd said in my last post, I finally splurged for new tires to put on the Pintlers that I had picked up over the winter. I'd been going crazy looking at those AEV boxes in my basement so I said F it and went to Discount Tire.

The guys took great care of me and even honored the JK Forum 10% discount, even though they didn't have to as it is an online discount. They were mounted and balanced about 2 hours after I dropped the wheels off and turned out great.

I went without TPMS sensors as I am planning either a Flashcal or Procal in the near future. I will just turn the feature off with that to get rid of the dash warning light.

I did think to do a quick measurement before putting the new stuff on. On the old tires/wheels, the measurement to the top of the fender was about 41 1/2". With the new tires/wheels it measures about 43 1/4". For anyone wondering, I went with the 315/70R17 size.

- Costs:
* AEV Pintlers - $1000
* Goodyear Duratracs - $1590

Last edited by KevinMac; 03-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Gobi...it's more than just a desert!

So the special brackets for the AEV rear bumper showed up yesterday. They were quite the engineering feat, way more complicated than the normal brackets. I had to pull the bumper and then it probably took about 1 1/2 hours to get the brackets on correctly. Once the rear bumper was on, the fun began!

The rack went on very easily and I was able to do it by myself. I had blankets draped all over the roof but I was able to wrestle it up there. It took probably another hour to put all the rack bolts on plus the ladder setup.

It looks badass and is rock solid. The sat radio is working ok so far but some people report having to move the antenna. Hopefully I won't have to be one of those people.

I got the 2000mm Arb awning and Arb mosquito room last week too. Camping season is only a month or so away. Unfortunately, I am waiting on the Gobi brackets for the awning mounting. Those aren't supposed to ship for 5 weeks...gack! Here's the rack all buttoned up!

The following users liked this post:
Alextorello (09-17-2018)
Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink addingauto headlights

Originally Posted by KevinMac
I use the "Search" function on this and the other JK sites...a lot!!! Seriously though, it's true. In the case of the ATC, those 3 guys I listed did a lot of the homework. I took what they had learned and cross referenced parts from some of the aftermarket mopar part sites. The hardest part is the electrical side of it. For that, I used some common sense on how things work and the Mopar Electrical Connector site to kind of figure out the circuits. When it comes to Canbus and Linbus questions I'm at a bit of an advantage. I live in Detroit, my g/f used to write code for Chrysler powertrain so I can ask her how things work...or possibly why they don't!

Like I said, I'm pretty confident I will get the ATC to work. The auto headlights, will take a bit more work. I already installed the new stalk (write up coming soon) but it doesn't work quite as intended. The loose end I need to tie up there is whether I need a reflash or not...I'm pretty sure I do.
I plan on adding Auto headlights to my 2103 sport with a/c as well. Did you ever do the write up for changing the stalk? I'm hoping you don't have to take the wheel off to change it. You also need to program the tipm for auto headlights. I don't think a dealer can do that?. you need to find some one with programming ability to add the engineering file enabling the auto headlights. once I add the correct stalk and sensor I will test my programming ability
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was there installing the new scuff plates I tossed in a full set of slush mats too. I live in Michigan...it snows here...a lot. Therefore, it was out with the stock floor mats. I have the full set available, including the cargo area mat, if anyone is interested. I'm open to reasonable offers!

Costs:
* Front/Rear Seat - $45
* Cargo Area - $68

Sorry to bump something so old. Just take the springs off the headrest posts! Pull back the fabric on the headrest and remove one spring per post with with needle nose pliers. They will stay down until you pull them up and then will lock. To get them back down, pull the seat fold lever up... push the seat down until the headrest moves backward, then return the seat.... wala!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blues143
I plan on adding Auto headlights to my 2103 sport with a/c as well. Did you ever do the write up for changing the stalk? I'm hoping you don't have to take the wheel off to change it. You also need to program the tipm for auto headlights. I don't think a dealer can do that?. you need to find some one with programming ability to add the engineering file enabling the auto headlights. once I add the correct stalk and sensor I will test my programming ability
I didn't as I hadn't necessarily gotten it working. But, what the hell, there wasn't much to it. Gdzila went to the dealer but they couldn't add the LMG sales code to his rig. I don't know if that means it can't be done but that was what his dealer told him. I'm curious, how would you program the TIPM and how would you get the file to add? Or would you try to create your own?

Anyway, I did take the wheel off. It actually wasn't that difficult though and didn't require a steering wheel puller. Below is the video I used as a guide. It's RHD and he has a bit of an accent but it gets the point across.

http://youtu.be/hYYdgWWJ5rA You may be able to swap it without removing the wheel, now that I think about it. Since I didn't know how it mounted, I took it off assuming it would need to come off. You may be able to slide it off the column and then unplug it, it's been a few months since I did it though so I'm not 100% sure.

You need to remove the upper and lower column shrouds, those are held in by (3) torx screws. The multifunction switch will now be exposed. Unplug the harness from it and then there is just 1 screw holding it in. The photo below shows the screw location. Once undone, it just slides off the column!

It's a simple reinstall, just reverse the order of how you took it apart. Install complete!

- Costs:
* Multifunction switch - $57

Last edited by KevinMac; 03-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep Punisher
Sorry to bump something so old. Just take the springs off the headrest posts! Pull back the fabric on the headrest and remove one spring per post with with needle nose pliers. They will stay down until you pull them up and then will lock. To get them back down, pull the seat fold lever up... push the seat down until the headrest moves backward, then return the seat.... wala!
Sweet! I'll have to poke around in there this weekend when I'm working on it!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't as I hadn't necessarily gotten it working. But, what the hell, there wasn't much to it. Gdzila went to the dealer but they couldn't add the LMG sales code to his rig. I don't know if that means it can't be done but that was what his dealer told him. I'm curious, how would you program the TIPM and how would you get the file to add? Or would you try to create your own?

Anyway, I did take the wheel off. It actually wasn't that difficult though and didn't require a steering wheel puller. Below is the video I used as a guide. It's RHD and he has a bit of an accent but it gets the point across.

http://youtu.be/hYYdgWWJ5rA You may be able to swap it without removing the wheel, now that I think about it. Since I didn't know how it mounted, I took it off assuming it would need to come off. You may be able to slide it off the column and then unplug it, it's been a few months since I did it though so I'm not 100% sure.

You need to remove the upper and lower column shrouds, those are held in by (3) torx screws. The multifunction switch will now be exposed. Unplug the harness from it and then there is just 1 screw holding it in. The photo below shows the screw location. Once undone, it just slides off the column!

It's a simple reinstall, just reverse the order of how you took it apart. Install complete!

- Costs:
* Multifunction switch - $57
You have to have special software to enable certain options. there are a few people around the country with engineering ability. I happen to know one Do you remember the part number off hand for the switch? I will install the sensor and stalk and then program. There is a guy in chicago that is some what close to you. I know he would enable your auto headlights.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blues143
You have to have special software to enable certain options. there are a few people around the country with engineering ability. I happen to know one Do you remember the part number off hand for the switch? I will install the sensor and stalk and then program. There is a guy in chicago that is some what close to you. I know he would enable your auto headlights.
I'll post it up when I get home from work tonight. I have the original switch in the box which the new part came in. I'm pretty sure the p/n was on the box.

Quick Reply: KevinMac's Semi-Budget Build...Project Deathstar