Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Where do you plan to mount the lowers on the frame side
right in front of my tranny crossmember. Im having a hell of a time with the upper link and trackbar with this massive ass truss. Up travel will be a fun adventure to figure out for the front.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default . O,

Oh right, I remember now. you have that 2x6 piece of steel. That should work nicely. I know I need to take some pictures. I have seemed to have lost my drag link nut on the pitman side. Its amazing how its the little stuff that can set you back. I am using my rear axle as a point of reference for the front axle. I had trouble finding a good fixed point so I used the rear hub. Looking good.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi

thanks man. for my front i measured dead center of my axle and also dead center of the crossmember up front (the round one that hangs down) I then hung a nut from string on the top one and slid the axle to where it needed to be. For the front to back centering i used the body mounts for both front and rear.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

I think I missed the point of your text..... either call me or re explain the question. I sent these to you before... but maybe they'll help you?

** stock crossmember in stock location

Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ABENDX
I think I missed the point of your text..... either call me or re explain the question. I sent these to you before... but maybe they'll help you?

** stock crossmember in stock location

Thanks man that bottom one is exactly what I needed! Yeah i noticed we were on different pages but i said screw it and worked on some easier shit to pass the time. I will start working on it again tonight. Appreciate the help.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

Well got a little more done tonight

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Think you are going to want to check clearance on those lowers.... I found that to be a poor location on mine.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah i was thinking about that last night as itll be hard to tie it into the crossmember behind it as i need it to be removable.. If i go inside the rails ill have to see what to do with the uppers. Its all just tacked at the moment. I really dislike how huge those brackets i had left were also. i may order some new ones.

Last edited by Maertz; 04-23-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Yeah i was thinking about that last night as itll be hard to tie it into the crossmember behind it as i need it to be removable.. If i go inside the rails ill have to see what to do with the uppers. Its all just tacked at the moment. I really dislike how huge those brackets i had left were also. i may order some new ones.
Whenever I get the time.... I'll redo my brackets and make new arms..... my thought was to use the existing mount (as you have there) as a base and build a horizontal one beside it. Should be plenty strong with decent gusseting, I'll keep similar separation, and I'll get all my turning radius back. I think the brackets at the axle will handle the increased angle, but easy enough to rectify if not.

Now is the right time to check what you have and the clearance with the wheel... much easier than going back and correcting stupid engineering (e.g. me!).

Last edited by ABENDX; 04-23-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Whenever I get the time.... I'll redo my brackets and make new arms..... my thought was to use the existing mount (as you have there) as a base and build a horizontal one beside it. Should be plenty strong with decent gusseting, I'll keep similar separation, and I'll get all my turning radius back. I think the brackets at the axle will handle the increased angle, but easy enough to rectify if not.

Now is the right time to check what you have and the clearance with the wheel... much easier than going back and correcting stupid engineering (e.g. me!).
I was debating going inside the frame rail back by the tranny crossmember with the lowers, and seeing how far if at all i can move the upper one back from the factory location. i dont have a calculator here at work to check everything, but tonight I will have to look into this more. I have to see how bad it would be having such a shorter upper than lower and the effect on the pinion angle change thru travel..