JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/maertzs-half-ass-build-thread-294934/)

Ringer 07-08-2014 07:29 PM

With as much as you pocketed the frame out, you shouldn't need a lot of angle on the mounting. Just make sure you cycle them with the tires on to ensure they don't rub. I got mine at around 8 degrees and probably cycled them about 50 times to get it right. Your shock angle forward to back looks good. I've always followed the rule of thumb to have the shock perpendicular to the control arms at full bump. This gives you the most consistent spring rate throughout the suspension arc.

Build is looking good.

supdoggen 07-08-2014 08:39 PM

Maertz, thank you for having such an active thread! I've been following your build for months. I have a quick question about this if you don't mind... It looks like you have the factory cage(I didn't see any cage work on this thread), are you building your shock mounts on that? Is it only going to tie into the tub and is that okay? And if not are you going to tie into the frame and is it okay to be hard mounted to the frame AND the tub? I may be missing something or just don't understand what is okay and not okay with this big of a build so hoping for some clarification.

Maertz 07-09-2014 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by supdoggen (Post 3945767)
Maertz, thank you for having such an active thread! I've been following your build for months. I have a quick question about this if you don't mind... It looks like you have the factory cage(I didn't see any cage work on this thread), are you building your shock mounts on that? Is it only going to tie into the tub and is that okay? And if not are you going to tie into the frame and is it okay to be hard mounted to the frame AND the tub? I may be missing something or just don't understand what is okay and not okay with this big of a build so hoping for some clarification.

Thanks! I tried to be as detailed as possible but im sure i still left out tons. I will be tying the body cage mounts into the frame also before driving it hard. But yes they will tie into the cage. From what i measured stock cage is 2.25x.120 wall also. This weekend in my efforts to get the jeep standing i also plan yo get at least the rear cage mounts tied into the frame.

Maertz 07-09-2014 02:38 PM

Well good day at work today! My metal came in so I can start working on reinforcing ALL of my frame mounts more, also sold my old tires, so i ordered up the rear shafts and gears. If i can get all of this done this weekend (more like 2 weekends) I will be driving and testing thereafter...

2climbbig 07-10-2014 05:31 PM

for the front, I am going with a 1350. With that much travel I found that my driveshaft angle exceeded 32*. When you measure it, you have to take the up angle of the transfer case plus the down angle of the driveshaft at total droop. I am sitting right at 36 degrees. High Angle drive line as a solution for me. I can limit my total operational angle to 35 degrees, or get their high angle driveshaft with the 1410 joint. The exhaust does play a factor so make sure you have a spacer to push out the CV joint if you have similar angles.

Maertz 07-11-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2climbbig (Post 3946938)
for the front, I am going with a 1350. With that much travel I found that my driveshaft angle exceeded 32*. When you measure it, you have to take the up angle of the transfer case plus the down angle of the driveshaft at total droop. I am sitting right at 36 degrees. High Angle drive line as a solution for me. I can limit my total operational angle to 35 degrees, or get their high angle driveshaft with the 1410 joint. The exhaust does play a factor so make sure you have a spacer to push out the CV joint if you have similar angles.

My exhaust will not be an issue as i dont have one and it will be ran after im done. I have not measured mine, but should be very close. I will be testing in the next couple weekends im sure. I did not want to go high angle as I am looking to run slugs and this will still be my dd. As for the 1410 i havent researched weather they make a new yoke for the tcase, unless you would be running a custom shaft with 1410 on one end and 1350 on the tcase? Is your front not stretched much? 14s should fit pretty easily and depending on the stretch you could be able to run a 16" on a 1350...

2climbbig 07-12-2014 09:27 PM

I am runnuing 14s in the front. My front axle is stretched 2 inches. am leaving out of town tomorrow so I figured I would let the rear sit on its own springs and check my angles. Looks like I am sitting at 4.5" ride hight with 4 up and 10 down. While I have to redesign my rear link, I was able to get all the necessary data to order my drive shafts. I also got a better angle finder.

Bottom line, I don't need a high angle drive shaft as I originally thought. 32* shaft will work just fine. so I am going with 1310s on the cv and 1350 at the axle. For the rear, I will go with 1350s at the cv and 1410s at the axle.

TheDirtman 07-13-2014 07:32 AM

So, are you going to carry 3 differnt u-joints for spare parts just for driveshafts?

Maertz 07-13-2014 07:41 AM

if anything i can see a 1350 on the cv and 1310 on the dif side, but as dirt said more parts.

Maertz 07-13-2014 09:17 AM

Well i got to take a fellow jeeper on here (snags) from new york out and show him a little bit of what farmington has to offer. In our couple hour trip we managed to bend his drag link on just 33s and also flaten down his exhaust pipes, along with a few scratches along the way. It was a great time and i was glad to show him the area even though my rigs still down! No pictures on my end, but i know hes got some go pro footage and a few pics. It was a good getaway for yesterday, but today now i need to try and get my rig standing i cant stand not wheeling my own rig...

Surprisingly it looked alot like the evo draglink flip that was posted not to long ago....