Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

MBRP offroad muffler and Evap Canister.... Bad... bad...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm

Dont think so.. the evap canister does not have gas or gas fumes really in it, just exhaust which it scrubs of waste such as hydrocarbons. These are a form of pollution that gasoline releases as it evaporates or after is is burned, fumes build up and are retained inside this canister. The canister contains charcoal that absorbs the hydrocarbons. When the engine is started, a valve opens that allows fresh air to come in and purge the fumes (hydrocarbons) into the air intake and then into the combustion chamber for burning.

So shouldnt be an issue there.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well sure... except it can get torn off in that location if you rock crawl which is why i went with the offroad muffler

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
You don't have to relocate your evap if you're running the MBRP cat-back exhaust that replaces the factory muffler in the factory location, FWIW.

Sorry for your trouble though.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'd go with the no charge relocate over the rear axle option. Had it since the Jeep was a week old and it's never failed.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmacJK
Hmm

Dont think so.. the evap canister does not have gas or gas fumes really in it, just exhaust which it scrubs of waste such as hydrocarbons. These are a form of pollution that gasoline releases as it evaporates or after is is burned, fumes build up and are retained inside this canister. The canister contains charcoal that absorbs the hydrocarbons. When the engine is started, a valve opens that allows fresh air to come in and purge the fumes (hydrocarbons) into the air intake and then into the combustion chamber for burning.

So shouldnt be an issue there.
I don't believe there is exhaust in the EVAP canister. I do believe there are gasoline (i.e. hydrocarbon) fumes in there though.
So SHOULD be an issue there.

Might you have catalytic canister and evaporative converter confusion?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmacjk you really did have a bad shake down day to CK. I hope the next run is more fun for you.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude...

you are totally right! My bad!

Originally Posted by JeeperDude
I don't believe there is exhaust in the EVAP canister. I do believe there are gasoline (i.e. hydrocarbon) fumes in there though.
So SHOULD be an issue there.

Might you have catalytic canister and evaporative converter confusion?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

This is a known issue (search for threads).

On 2 DR JKs, the evap kit is too close to the exhaust and it literally vaporizes (read fire hazard).

I've had my MBRP off-road exhaust with the evap relocate kit from (JKs ? i can check) for a yr now after a couple of guys burnt theirs. No issues

Supposedly this isn't an issue on the 4 DR JK since there is more real estate between the evap can and the exhaust but i can't personally verify that.

There is also a heat shield option but the relocate option and simpler IMHO.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default yikes!

Thanks for posting the pics of your problem, but not happy you had this happen in the first place. I still think this canister is in the wrong spot to start considering nearly everyone change it's location at some point.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

mmak...Good luck with the in stall. Hydrocarbons are in the gasoline we use, the evap canister is exactley what the name implies. When the gas evporates it gives off hydrocarbons and the evap can pulls it off the top of the gas tank to nuetralize the hydrocarbons. Just emission stuff as you know. Oh well its what they said vehicals needed!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

hey i just go my mbrp offroad exhaust... but i have a four door should i worry

Quick Reply: MBRP offroad muffler and Evap Canister.... Bad... bad...