Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

The Never- Ending "what size tire can fit on my stock jk" Question

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Never- Ending "what size tire can fit on my stock jk" Question

To use pictures to answer this question, I feel like maybe we can keep from having this question pop up in the future. I know I was in your shoes when I bought my first JK a week and a half ago so to save you from hours of internet research and flipping through pages of lift kits to compare companies and sizes, then comparing different tires diameters and sizes just look at these pictures.
I bought a stock 08 Wrangler unlimited (pic below). then I trimmed my fender flares, my front bumper and my pinch seams which took all of a couple hours one evening. Then I bought the metal mulisha wheels (18x9) with a 5in offset and mounted them on some 37x13.5 nitto mud grapplers. The buddy of mine that I bought them from told me my measurements were off and they wouldn't clear so he wouldn't mount them. I told him he's lazy and put them in the back of the truck. I drove home, jacked up the Jk, and put them on. I drove with STOCK SUSPENSION for 2 days waiting for the lift to come in (pic with the hard top) and did some minor wheeling and got up on a couple rocks with absolutely no rub anywhere. Now with the lift we obviously can flex out no problem. But I think this answers the question of how high you can go with stock suspension clearance-wise. Daily drivers can easily make 37's work, if you wheel a little bit then 35's are perfect for you. When I keep seeing people say that you need a lift to clear 33's it makes me laugh when I walked out and saw my 37's flexed on stock suspension. I am in no way saying to do any of the following without taking everything else into consideration (gears, recalibrating, drivetrain, tcase). Just addressing the clearance question to try to help others out in understanding the limits of their wheel wells.
Its a jeep, so no matter how you build yours, I'll love it. so feel free to drop pics
Good luck guys
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607..jpg
Views:	122
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	69171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0124..jpg
Views:	129
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	69174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02688..jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	69175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626..jpg
Views:	157
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	69176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02681..jpg
Views:	163
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	69177  

Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the post!

(I'm guessing your minor wheeling was with the swaybars still connected.)
Old 05-22-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tslewisz
Thanks for the post!

(I'm guessing your minor wheeling was with the swaybars still connected.)
sure was. i just started the build on this thing so i am going to wait till we get the atlas and all that good stuff before i disconnect and push the limits. but trust me, Ill have pics up here the day that we really push it
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

The pic with just the front doors off, kinda reminds me of the lower 40 concept, in stance. looks pretty good. So how much lift did you install? It looks like you just did the front leveling kit.

Quick Reply: The Never- Ending "what size tire can fit on my stock jk" Question