Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painted gauge surround red

Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i dont know how you can fix it at this point. I do know from experience that you shouldnt spray too close to the part & wait for the pain to totally dry between coats.

Sorry man, im not the best painter but those were my observations that worked for me - hope that helps.

Also i didnt use any kind of primer. I went to straight paint.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dgnr8
Well i dont know how you can fix it at this point. I do know from experience that you shouldnt spray too close to the part & wait for the pain to totally dry between coats.

Sorry man, im not the best painter but those were my observations that worked for me - hope that helps.

Also i didnt use any kind of primer. I went to straight paint.

ok thanks for the advise thats what i figured so il keep putting more coats on and wait about 15min between coats instead of ten mins thank you
Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on tackling this tomorrow with Krylon Fusion Textured Shimmer Black. Gives it a nice gunmetal color and still remains dark. Hope I don't run into problems!

Plan on rubbing down with dishwasher detergent, and then alcohol, then paint away! Waiting about 2 minutes between coats (very light coats). Doing vents, and if that goes well, moving onto the dash bezel.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am hopefully getting mine done this week! Some of these look amazing!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of paint do you use to do this??? I wanna do it! Looks awesome.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my friend take care of mine when I got my bumpers and rock rings done.
He shot them with a spray gun, a few coats of the dupont Rescue Green, and a few coats of clear.
I masked off a lot more though, Just painted the rings not the rest of the gauge surround. I love the way it turned out. Not too much color that it looks ricerish but it makes it stand out a little bit.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

That's a great look. Real custom.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Gulf Coast Sand...

In honor of my "Gulf Coast Edition" Jeep as I have named her, I opted for a silvery sand textured finish on mine. The sands here are more silver/white as opposed to the more traditional golden color seen on the East and West Coasts.

I'm very happy with the results...just what I was after. And everyone is right, this was an EASY EASY project! Love it...

Last edited by BeachCrawler; 05-10-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did my guages and vent covers in Red Rock. I'll post pics when I get off work. I love the way it turned out and it was really easy.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I still like the 07 to 10 interior, better and you can do everything on this thread. You all did a great job.

Quick Reply: Painted gauge surround red