Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pics of 33s wihout lift

Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you turn off OD on a 2012? I've never noticed any buttons or anything mentioning OD.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge

I disagree. It would not harm the transmission, as long as you have overdrive off. It happened to me before on my Cherokee. It kept going into and out of O/D, causing the transmission to go out prematurely.

Otherwise, the transmission will be just fine... but yes, the shifting is not ideal and you will lose gas mileage. Your speedometer will be off by around 2mph.

I ran 35 TSLs on my Cherokee without regearing and without changing anything else. It was decent on the road, but on the highway I was getting like 10mpg and my speedo was 10 mph off. However, if I disabled O/D on my Cherokee then I would have not had the problem I had. The tranny had like 140k on it when it crapped out going 70 on the highway.
Are cherokee's geared the same as jeeps?
Jeeps have a pretty low gear set up, and yes the highway would be where you would see the damage...
I really would not want that type of continuous stress on and wear on my jeep that is brought on by turning off o/d for normal driving activity.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cherokee ran 3.55 gears in a Dana 35. So yeah, pretty undergeared.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got new DuraTracs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3235773515.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	268923   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1513021776.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	268924   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1017791311.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	268925   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1183288891.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	268926  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

All this talk about speedometer's being off, and transmissions not shifting property...thought'd I'd chime in. I think it depends a lot on what gear ratio your Jeep has, and what tires you changed from, as well as what tires you changed to.

I have a 2dr. Rubicon with 4.10 gears and an auto. I went from stock BFG KM's to 33" Hankook Dynapro MT's in 285/70r17. My speedometer was exactly the same before and after the change. I know, because my Jeep has the navigation unit. At speeds less than 50 or 55, my speedo reads the same as the navigation unit (both before and after the tire change). At speeds over 50 or 55, my speedo is off by 1 mph compared to the navigation system, just exactly as it was before the tire change. Also, if there is a change in RPM's, it has to be less than 100rpm's, because it doesn't show. I always drove with OD off in town before, and I still do. On the freeway I use overdrive. I went on a 1500 mile trip right after installing 33's. I did not notice the transmission shifting any more than before. I also only lost 1mpg, but I was loaded more than normal, so it might not have been all due to the tires.

I wasn't crazy about the Hanook tires, so when I got home, I switched back to the stock tires for a couple of weeks before my new Mickey Thompson 33's came in. There was virtually no difference between the Hankooks, stock KM's, and now my Mickey Thompsons in regards to speedo accuracy, transmission shifting, OD, etc. So this makes me think that maybe these issues are mainly on the models with 3.73 or 3.21 gears and stock SRA tires, because on my Rubi the change from 32's to 33's was not a big deal. No Superchips or other necessary for me. Would I like different gears? Yes, I'd like 4.56 gears, but then I would have liked to have them with the stock tires too.

Last edited by jckid; 01-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

You are pretty much on track with your thought and you should only be about a mile off at 50.

The variable I did not think about is that my tires are Nitto trail grapplers and the actual measurements are 33.4" x 12.6"

The extra 0.4" actually makes me 2 miles over at 50 (there is a tire app that does the calculation)
the other part is that I am 3.73 - you are correct - that matters.

Another big factor is the weight difference between tires because of the width, mine are super heavy and that most likely has play in it.

Testimonial:
Once I hit 70 on the thruway my RPMs would be through the roof and it felt like I could not go any faster.
After super chip, I was in the passing lane again with od on and with comfort going up to 85+.

Don't have to turn od off to go up inclines anymore either. SC is the pre pentastar jeep cure.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jckid
All this talk about speedometer's being off, and transmissions not shifting property...thought'd I'd chime in. I think it depends a lot on what gear ratio your Jeep has, and what tires you changed from, as well as what tires you changed to.

I have a 2dr. Rubicon with 4.10 gears and an auto. I went from stock BFG KM's to 33" Hankook Dynapro MT's in 285/70r17. My speedometer was exactly the same before and after the change. I know, because my Jeep has the navigation unit. At speeds less than 50 or 55, my speedo reads the same as the navigation unit (both before and after the tire change). At speeds over 50 or 55, my speedo is off by 1 mph compared to the navigation system, just exactly as it was before the tire change. Also, if there is a change in RPM's, it has to be less than 100rpm's, because it doesn't show. I always drove with OD off in town before, and I still do. On the freeway I use overdrive. I went on a 1500 mile trip right after installing 33's. I did not notice the transmission shifting any more than before. I also only lost 1mpg, but I was loaded more than normal, so it might not have been all due to the tires.

I wasn't crazy about the Hanook tires, so when I got home, I switched back to the stock tires for a couple of weeks before my new Mickey Thompson 33's came in. There was virtually no difference between the Hankooks, stock KM's, and now my Mickey Thompsons in regards to speedo accuracy, transmission shifting, OD, etc. So this makes me think that maybe these issues are mainly on the models with 3.73 or 3.21 gears and stock SRA tires, because on my Rubi the change from 32's to 33's was not a big deal. No Superchips or other necessary for me. Would I like different gears? Yes, I'd like 4.56 gears, but then I would have liked to have them with the stock tires too.
Just depends on the rig. The Ruby comes stock with bigger tires right? But when I went from the stock tires/wheels to the 33s on my "X", the speedo was off, if I recall, about 6 mph. Plus a big difference in shifting of my auto and 4:10s. I helped it a lot by installing a Flashpaq and CAI.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Halas
305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler w/ 20x9 XD Cranks with 4.5" Backspacing
No lift but i did trim the corners on the air damn

What do you think?......better pics coming this weekend
I love this look. X10
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default 33's question???

Hey guys just ordered a set of 17x9 wheels with a -12mm offset. looking to put 33's to go along with them. Will my jeep require a lift or anything of that sort? thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kludwig13
Hey guys just ordered a set of 17x9 wheels with a -12mm offset. looking to put 33's to go along with them. Will my jeep require a lift or anything of that sort? thanks.
should be ok without a lift, especially if you're jsut driving around town. I have a TF 1.5" spring leveling kit with my 33" duratracs. I think it looks perfect, and nothing has rubbed anywhere

Quick Reply: Pics of 33s wihout lift