Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

PJ front bumper

Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit man! I was told they are on backorder for like months..... Would like to get one ASAP! Without winch mount.

Nate
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N8Kern
Damnit man! I was told they are on backorder for like months..... Would like to get one ASAP! Without winch mount.

Nate
www.4wd.com has them on the shelf. It took 3 days for mine to arrive on the door step.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
I myself have a PJ bumper with a Warn winch and have put both to good use. That being said, I like the "looks" of what Ryans JK did by welding the D Ring mounts on to the bumper. HOWEVER......these should never be used as a point of attachment. There is no strength to the way it's been done. If you look at the PJ (or any other manufactured) D Ring mount, the welds are on both the front and rear of the mounting plate.

Why not? The D-ring mounts where grinded on the edge for better penetration and are welded on both the top and bottom, and are welded to a thick plate of steel not the actual bumper and held on by the same bolts that would hold on the PJ style D-ring mount.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to be critical of your design. I think the mods you have done look great.....however, it's not the same as the PJ stock D Ring mounts. If you took a set of stock mounts and looked at the back (the side that bolts to the bumper) you would see the welds. These are in addition to the welds that are visable on the front. Twice the welds = twice the strength. The plate and attachment bolts are not the "unknown"......the welds are.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi new member but have been on this forum daily since early this year when i discovered my soulmate-the jk. But i became a member just now to respond to the erroneous insight by silver bullet. Being an ironworker with numerous welding certs and the street creds I must tell you with welding more isn't always better and the welds on a production item are alot of times subpar to those welds of a qualified person working on his own stuff. If wellde with stick and a 60 series rod 1" of weld is good for 60000 lbs on paper, in practice agood weld with that rod is usually in the 70s. Are the 4 bolts good for that. No. And neither is the bumper attachment points. Nice bumper dude. Oh and its been a pleasure learning from you guys and girls. Just hope i can return the favor someday.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

In response to bsack's comment about welding (which BTW, I have no experience), all I was trying to say is that there must be a reason why companies such as PJ, Jeeperman and others design the construction of their attachment points. All I was trying to do is offer a friendly opinion pertaining to safety. Given the fact that neither you nor I have any idea how the welds were actually done on this perticular bumper, I would much rather error on the side of caution........don't you agree?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh ya i get your point fully,but the reason they 'over weld' their attachments is because most likely noone with an structural engineering background looked at this thing and i can say with some confidence that the welds arent of good quality because on most mass produced items they just arent hence the over welding and idea that more is better. If i were pulling with such force that i could break those welds on his bumper-which with a straight pull would be exerting force on them where they are the stongest-I would be more concerned about the damage and strain i was putting on components i could not see and or easily replace. The four welds look good in the pictures as long as he beveled the plate and got proper penetration as stated. Not trying to be an arse just wanted to chime in on something i knew about FINALLY
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bsack.....no worries. Like I said, just trying to look out for my fellow JK'rs. I guess there's something about the thought of having a piece of steel flying around at the end of a steel cable that makes me pucker.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

yah if that makes you pucker i wont get started telling you about the gazillion miles of crappy welds holding together buildings and bridges we all use. Different forum but shows the strength of even horribly crappy welds. And these faces are fun, been nice argueing with ya.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I understand what your where trying to say now, and that is why I had my welder grind my questionable welds off and redo them. The guy that did all of my welding builds roll bars cages and many other things so I have full confidence that the welds are strong. Like you guys said before a 3 lb. chunk of metal flying through the air does not appeal to me either.

Quick Reply: PJ front bumper