Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

PJ front bumper

Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsack
oh ya i get your point fully,but the reason they 'over weld' their attachments is because most likely noone with an structural engineering background looked at this thing and i can say with some confidence that the welds arent of good quality because on most mass produced items they just arent hence the over welding and idea that more is better. If i were pulling with such force that i could break those welds on his bumper-which with a straight pull would be exerting force on them where they are the stongest-I would be more concerned about the damage and strain i was putting on components i could not see and or easily replace. The four welds look good in the pictures as long as he beveled the plate and got proper penetration as stated. Not trying to be an arse just wanted to chime in on something i knew about FINALLY
As far as I know, most of the companies building bumpers for the JK are not mass produced, they are hand built and welded up by a person, so whats the difference?

As for the design of his mounts, I wouldnt trust them. How often do you ever get a straight pull on a bumper mount while offroading?
This is why I think PJ built theirs the way they did. Their D-ring mount extends through the metal plate and is welded front and back which makes it much stronger for "not so straight pulls".
Regardless of how good the welds are, just adding a mount to the top side of a plate is much more prong to getting ripped off, if pulled on from any angle other then a straight on pull.

Last edited by Eracer76; 08-24-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, by massed produced i meant that it is a item built repeatedly by a guy bored to death in a booth welding bumpers and other items day in and day out for in the range of $10 or less an hour depending on his place on the planet, much less if not in the US; and wondering how his life went so wrong. And enjoying his smoke break as his only chance for fresh air.
I just dig it when someone trys something new, especially welding and fabricating. It is great fun when it is on your terms and despite the fear to try it, welding really isnt that hard to do and is something a person can see daily improvement at. I like that a person gave it a shot and I dont see a need to create a atmosphere where someone is discouraged-even if on accident- from trying their had at this artform. Everyone that has welded has done horribly crappy welds and has improved because of it and honed their skills. I have never witnessed horrible weld failure first hand. But I am the kind of dude that wears a belt or suspenders-not both.
Maybe I should kept my mouth shut-oh well
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bsack
I like that a person gave it a shot and I dont see a need to create a atmosphere where someone is discouraged-even if on accident- from trying their had at this artform.

I dont think anyones try to discourage him. they were just suggesting a change to make it better.

lets get this back on topic..

nice bumper
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt say anyone was discouraging him but I have noticed that sometimes its almost as if a discussion gets personal where as i am interested in differing opinions more that those that agree. Other JK forums are really bad about that and thats why I joined up here. And you is right, that PJ bumper should be stock. And I am out.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, that is a nice bumper and looks good, I like what you did with it.
But I just wanted to voice my opinion on the d-ring mounts, because I dont think I'd trust pulling a Jeep out of a mud hole with them.
Ive seen videos of tow hooks and d-ring mounts breaking free and go flying
Ive also read a story of someone taking a shackle to the head and died on the spot, it was very sad and at the same time scary to think how dangerous it can be yanking on a 4k pound Jeep stuck in a mud hole....

Just be safe everyone!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^^

Nice color and bumper choice

Quick Reply: PJ front bumper