Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project-JK Gets Rock Lights Installed!!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nclehmann
Is that the shadow of an alien crawling out of the underbelly?

"Take me to your leader!"

Sweet!
now that's funny!!

Originally Posted by Lo2aY
LOOOOOOOOOOL

thats funny

how many lights did you use? assuming 3 on each side?
yes, i used 3 pairs. 2 up front, 2 in the middle and 2 in the rear.

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Can't believe $15 lights turn out that good. Beats $140 for ORO's dots...

Looks GREAT!
man you ain't kidding. you just can't beat the price and after seeing for myself the significant lack of light the $140 LED really put out, i can tell you that i'd be willing to pay twice the price for what i have now.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by toad
I believe it would be 3 pair.
yup, what she said

Originally Posted by doojer
Nice!! Party under WOL's Jeep!

unfortuantely, i don't have the cool beat master sound control but... i just may have to look into what my options are

Originally Posted by doojer
LOL, I tend to go for actual light over "night vision". My superhero skills are average at best.
Originally Posted by fish
nice jobthis is on my to do list for sure.

they won'y blind your spotter if you have them positioned properly. and night vision?well i find those goggles a bit heavy to wear while wheeling
Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattC
Rock lights that bright mess with Your night vision and blind Your spotters!
If my spotter is looking at my lights and not my line I don't want him spotting..

Honestly they work great and are an affordable sollution for those looking to light up down below... Looks great Eddie!

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-18-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
Honestly they work great and are an affordable sollution for those looking to light up down below... Looks great Eddie!
thank you sir. it would seem that you and your jeep have been an inspiration for me lately

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-18-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great. Now all you gotta do is get lights on each side and a couple on top to light up those treetops.....JK..........great mod that will come in useful.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=wayoflife;1007397]yup, what she said

unfortuantely, i don't have the cool beat master sound control but... i just may have to look into what my options are [QUOTE]

I bought the vision-x lights. It has this as an option... I paid 70 bucks.

I think this is a great way to inexpensively add rock lighting. I did this on my old YJ.
I had 6 55 watt offroad lights from autozone though.

I do understand what Matt C was saying about your spotter's night vision. I was wheeling in Tellico and my rock lighting was so bright that when my spotter turned around to go uptrail, he stepped in a big hole and twisted the bejesus out of his ankle. His excuse was he was temporarily blinded while his eyes readjusted to the light change.

Last edited by JKrazed; 03-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

WOL we need a write up this is an awesome cheap mod
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks Great Man!!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JKrazed
I bought the vision-x lights. It has this as an option... I paid 70 bucks.
i have seen these and the disco effect is way cool and i really considered going this route but i found that the LED's were too bluish in color and too dim to be very effective. i mean, they are real shinney and all but this didn't translate into enough visible light for my taste.

I think this is a great way to inexpensively add rock lighting. I did this on my old YJ.
I had 6 55 watt offroad lights from autozone though.
like i said, this is a cheap and easy mod that i have seen in action and works well.

I do understand what Matt C was saying about your spotter's night vision. I was wheeling in Tellico and my rock lighting was so bright that when my spotter turned around to go uptrail, he stepped in a big hole and twisted the bejesus out of his ankle. His excuse was he was temporarily blinded while his eyes readjusted to the light change.
please don't get me wrong but when walking around in the dark and on terrain that i know is uneven, i find that it's helpful to carry a flashlight and to watch my step. for those out there without rock lights, all you have are headlights and/or driving lights to work with and they are are always pointing right into the eyes of your spotter. are you really suggesting that rock lights when properly aimed at the ground to give off ambient light only is somehow brighter and more blinding than headlights? also, just out of curiosity, did you have your headlights on when your friend twisted his ankle and were your rock lights pointing at the ground like they should be or were they pointing foward into the eyes of your spotter as well? i'd just like to know that we are talking apples to apples here.

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-17-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
please don't get me wrong but when walking around in the dark and on terrain that i know is uneven, i find that it's helpful to carry a flashlight and to watch my step. for those out there without rock lights, all you have are headlights and/or driving lights to work with and they are are always pointing right into the eyes of your spotter. are you really suggesting that rock lights when properly aimed at the ground to give off ambient light only is somehow brighter and more blinding than headlights? also, just out of curiosity, did you have your headlights on during when your friend twisted his ankle and were your rock lights pointing at the ground like they should be or were they pointing foward into the eyes of your spotter? i'd just like to know that we are talking apples to apples here.
I can assure you, We are talking apples to apples. My spotter that night was my father, and he is an extremely capable and competent wheeler/spotter. He also never leaves home without his "survival" kit. A duffle packed with everything one might possibly need in an emergency situation, which includes more than one kind of Surefire flashlight. He was using it at the time. I'm no stranger to night wheeling, I know the protocol when using a spotter at night. My headlights weren't on while he was out in front...

Also,I did quite a bit of night wheeling with my vision-x's last weekend at Tierra Del Sol. They were the perfect amount of ambient light needed to see the immediate terrain. Even they are too bright to look directly at without compromising your vision. I was sure to place them in locations that weren't directly visible to the eyes. Plus, with the super low draw needed to power the LED's, it's not an issue to leave them on and do trail repairs without having to start the engine to occationally recharge the battery... Thus less heat to deal with on your back in the mud.

This is just my opinion. Your solution works for you, as mine does for me! (plus it looks cool, too!)

Quick Reply: Project-JK Gets Rock Lights Installed!!