Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project - Jon Boat on Top of the JKU (no top)

Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project - Jon Boat on Top of the JKU (no top)

I have been pondering how to conveniently haul around my 12 foot jon boat. I have finally come up with a solution and hope this can help others. The real challenge was that the soft top does not lend itself to having anything on it for obvious reasons. I considered a rack like a Congo but decided against it. My epiphany came when I realized I don't travel far with the boat and I only take it out when its nice weather.

My jon boat is a 1232 which means its on the narrow side. This works out well for my setup. I have a 2X3 in the front a little behind the windshield. It fits between the door surrounds and bears on the roll cage. I needed to add 3/4 plywood at the roll cage location in order to raise the height of the 2X3 so the boat wouldn't hit the the windshield frame.

For a back support, I used a 2X4 positioned right behind the door surround. I did not need to raise the height of this one. Each piece of lumber is wrapped in indoor/outdoor carpet.

The boat will center on these two pieces, hanging over the front and back equally.

To secure the boat to the JKU, I added D-Rings at the end of the roll cage. I got the D-Rings from etrailer (hxxp://www.etrailer.com/p-5800700.html). These worked out perfect as the 8 MM bolt used for the assembly of the roll cage perfectly fits the hole in the D-Ring plate.

I also added some D-Rings in the middle kinda by the sound bar. I won't use these for securing the boat but I had 2 leftover in the pack.

Both sets of D-Rings are hidden by the roll cage fabric and are accessed through unzipping it just a little bit. Very nice. Out of sight when not needed but easily accessible.

For the front, there was no bolt to make use of. Instead, I picked up assist straps from etrailer (hxxp://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...son/06303.html). These worked perfectly as they create a loop around the roll cage.

Best part is that you can tuck them under the plastic trim so they are no visible when not in use.

I will use ratcheting straps (4 total) to secure the boat. Two over the top, one off the hitch, one in the front. I found a nice little hole in the underside of the plastic skid trim where you can snag a hook in. And since I have the straps and hooks on the roll cage, I don't have any straps inside the Jeep. When I tried this originally (just going around the boat and roll cage), tightening the ratchet started to crush the foam padding.

Once I have the boat on top and secured I will take some more pics.

My next item to address is securing the lumber to the roll cage. If I left it as is, it would only be a pressure fit resulting from the ratchet straps.

Last edited by MrKenmore; 06-18-2011 at 02:00 AM. Reason: no non sponsor clicky please
Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

X's!!!! ALL I SEE ARE X's!!!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arggghhhh!!! Does it work now. The gallery is giving me grief. Sorry!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I finally fixed the pictures. Let me know if everyone can see them!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKenmore
I think I finally fixed the pictures. Let me know if everyone can see them!
I see them. I don't see the boat, however.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

The pics with the boat are to not posted yet.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The pics with the boat are to not posted yet.
I knew that. I was just jesting with you.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the boat on top.....................

It's a 10 foot jon boat you see there.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

With the boat on top.....................

It's a 10 foot jon boat you see there.
Sweet, nice job!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats awesome..very nice job

Quick Reply: Project - Jon Boat on Top of the JKU (no top)