Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rigid On-Site Storage Chest (with pics)

Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Rigid On-Site Storage Chest (with pics)

I've been lamenting the lack of security relative to locking valuables in my JK since the moment I bought it, especially since I run around doors off with only a bikini top most of the time.

At long last, I settled on a Rigid brand 'On Site Storage Chest.' These are sometimes referred to as "gangboxes" and welder's boxes", but they are exceptionally heavy, sturdy, and pert near impossible to break into. The box I selected (a Model 2032) measures 32" x 19" x 18-1/4" and is 77 pounds (made of 12 and 16 ga. steel).

I mounted it slightly off center to leave room for my CO2 bottle mounted on the passenger sport bar tube, about flush up against the closed tail gate. I still have access to the little well above the muffer (now coverless) and I have storage room in front of the box and some on either side.

Though I don't think the orange looks bad in a black Jeep, I will eventually remove the box, have it Line-X'd to match my interior, and reinstall it with a couple long piece of Unistrut. I currently have the front of the box bolted into the body with cut washers and nuts. It felt like that was sufficient to hold the entire box in place. Still, I added a couple ratchet straps not because I really thought I needed them, but simply for that added peace of mind... but they essentially do nothing other than pull against the front mounting bolts.

(Note: I didn't drill through the bottom of the box toward the rear to duplicate my bolt and washer affair near the front. Because of a reinforcement brace in the body under the JK, I would have been drilling completely blind into God only knows what. Long pieces of Unistrut mounted the entire depth of the bed will solve that.)

Here are a few photos and a link to the box (I got mine at Home Depot for $179, not at all bad considering the build quality, particularly if you compare this to a Tuffy unit).

h++p://www.ridgid.com/Tools/2032-OS-Storage-Chest/EN/index.htm

Just home from the store...

Various shots post-installation (apologies for the poor light, shooting toward the open garage door).

I removed the die-cut RIGID decal and replaced it with something more appropriate...

This is a generously sized box. I've only got it about half full here, so it will more than take my recovery gear, camping gear, first aid, tool kit and spares. Two inaccessible padlocks and a double rolled 16 ga. lip and lid - my stuff is fairly safe.

For those of you looking for a high quality "trunk" for the arse end of your Jeep, you're not going to find a better/cheaper one than this IMO. It's a somewhat difficult installation as you have to use a hole saw and drill large access holes inside the box (to put a socket on your bolts with), but the end result was worth the effort.

Cheers,

Omaha
Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

the northridge sticker makes it totally
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw a box like that at work today ( costco ) and i was tempted to buy it but it came with another one witch was to big and i only need one. but the lock is realy realy well tought its preaty much imposible to remove the lock. realy nice and nice linex
Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 AM
RAM
JK Newbie

looks good & a good idea at that.

Should also fit for those with the factory subwoofer as well
Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi

Did you notice any change in ride with all that weight in the rear?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Do they make a slightly smaller version ?

Matthew

Quick Reply: Rigid On-Site Storage Chest (with pics)