Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Trailer tire size ?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer tire size ?

I am building my custom trailer and was wondering what I should do for the size of tire for the trailer. I currently run 285/75/16 Duratracs. Of course I want them to match, but I was wondering if I should go the same height but not as wide. What are others doing?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maine07jk
I am building my custom trailer and was wondering what I should do for the size of tire for the trailer. I currently run 285/75/16 Duratracs. Of course I want them to match, but I was wondering if I should go the same height but not as wide. What are others doing?
Is this a full-framed, heavy-duty offroad trailer or mainly for on-road use? Also, what loads are will you be carrying.

Wider tyres will obviously give better traction when aired-down offroad on driven wheels however since the trailer wheels are freewheeling you'd really only need wider tyres to possibly offer a greater load rating (though at those loads the JK itself would be overloaded for towing anyway). I'd say go narrower to save weight & reduce road friction (ie: get better mileage) but keep the same height & profile to match the look of your Jeep's tyres.

Last edited by JKlad; 02-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKlad
Is this a full-framed, heavy-duty offroad trailer or mainly for on-road use? Also, what loads are will you be carrying.

Wider tyres will obviously give better traction when aired-down offroad on driven wheels however since the trailer wheels are freewheeling you'd really only need wider tyres to possibly offer a greater load rating (though at those loads the JK itself would be overloaded for towing anyway). I'd say go narrower to save weight & reduce road friction (ie: get better mileage) but keep the same height & profile to match the look of your Jeep's tyres.
Thank you! It will be mainly on road heading to our camp, but some off road as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by maine07jk
Thank you! It will be mainly on road heading to our camp, but some off road as well.
If it's not solely for hard-core offroad use then clearance under the trailer isn't as much of as issue, so you could easily get away will smaller rims & tyres (height wise) which will lower the towed height of the trailer, reducing drag and cutting even more weight with the smaller wheels & tyres (many boat trailers only have 12" rims to keep the height down). Then again, it's all down to the look you want & if you want the trailer wheels & tyres to match the ones on your Jeep.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

But to be honest it has to look good!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Here is my 2 cents on this. It's great if you can match your trailer wheel and tire size with your Jeeps wheel and tire size.

Bigest advantage would be, No need to carry another spare wheel and tire. Your Jeeps spare will work on both Jeep and trailer.

I am running 37's on my Jeep but went to 35's on my trailer. Same wheel but smaller tires. 37's were just to big for my 1/4 ton military trailer even with 5 inches of total lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail Ride and Show 045.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	274136 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail Ride and Show 036.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	274137
Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice trailer! I guess I am going to run the same height but will have to decide the width!

Last edited by maine07jk; 02-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing the same thing with my off-road popup camper. I will go the same size, brand and rim size. I will carry a spare on the Jeep and one on the trailer. People have been doing this for a while for overland travel. Carrying 2 spares is recommended when going to remote locations....

Quick Reply: Trailer tire size ?