Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Trimmed Fender thread post ur pics here!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking into doing this, and by chance decided to check with local laws regarding fender size.

Here is the response I received from a traffic constable: "Sorry to rain on your parade but all three modifications could get you a ticket. Basically you cannot change the size of fenders or bumpers that the vehicle came with unless you keep the sizes close and you get it inspected at a designated inspection facility."

So, from what I understand, I can chop the fenders but they have to be "close" to the original size...
Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone with this fender chop had issues on the highway with either flapping fenders or wind noise making a whistling sound?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dante
Has anyone with this fender chop had issues on the highway with either flapping fenders or wind noise making a whistling sound?
Some people save the factory substructure it will make it more rigid
Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I did it and haven't had a problem not sure about a whistle noise but it doesn't flap any worse then they did before just make sure you keep the sub structure
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

While my fronts move a little, i would hardly call it flapping. I did keep as much of the hard plastic structure under the flares as i could, so that helps out. I noticed that the lower front of the rear flares move some too, still not flapping. When i decide that i have them cut like i want em, im probably going to shoot some type of adhesive betweent the front flares and the substructure.

corey d
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question on Rear Fender chops from an East Coaster....Why are many removing the inner fender flare pants completely ?

I know your West Coast weather may not need rain and slush protection but the horizontal part of inner flare can be cut up to the plastic inner fastners and so retain the vertical part of inner flare (and its fastnening) that doesnt interfere with the tires. What am I missing ?

Cheers
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
Question on Rear Fender chops from an East Coaster....Why are many removing the inner fender flare pants completely ?

I know your West Coast weather may not need rain and slush protection but the horizontal part of inner flare can be cut up to the plastic inner fastners and so retain the vertical part of inner flare (and its fastnening) that doesnt interfere with the tires. What am I missing ?

Cheers

Im not a west coaster, but i would imagine they leave it off because its less of a PITA and you actually dont really need the ones in the rear. once the fender wells are painted black, it looks about the same with or without the "pants." the front pants are a little more useful. they keep mud from getting in the engine compartment. i trimmed both front and rear pants and reinstalled them when i did my chop. too much mud and poo where im from not to.

corey d
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester

Cheers
Arched around the inner rear fender well, there are 3 or 4 black plastic fastners holding it to the body. It seems you can chop away the entire inner (and outer) rear fender from the driver/passenger outside edge to the fastners (keeping them intact), and keep the vertical inner for slush protection.

Hope that is clearer....
Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKrazed
You lost me.

I installed my rears as well.

You can see them here.

I am doing this asap can you post some close ups of the rear and front inner liner and how it is attached, please?

Red
Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually, this picture shows you have balls of steel.

Originally Posted by RubiJK
Here is a good one that shows how I cut the inner skeleton and left it in for support. That fender is stout for sure...

Quick Reply: Trimmed Fender thread post ur pics here!