Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Vvt hemi

Old 09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

something else to think about too is air-conditioner use..

if you have air-conditioning in your JK there are 2 main effects with cooling..

1] the condenser coil itself will block some air to the radiator... which will require the fan pull harder to create the same airflow..(doesnt matter if A/C is on or off)

2] if you are using your A/C the condenser coil will add up to 24,000 extra BTU's of heat to the mix... if its 95 degrees outside... A/C is on.. you will likely be pushing 110-115 degree air at your radiator instead of 95....

and a minor thing is the compressor does put a little bit more load on the engine... that can create a little more heat as well....

just something to think about...

-Christopher
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said my Jeep wieghs 6800lbs empty. I'll be cutting out weight over time as I move to Al parts. JKDinker suggested that I try a JSS radiator. I am going to do that. Its about 15% or so bigger than the BOR and is crossflow. So, we'll see.

It also is true-if I run 45 mph up to eisenhower tunnel, i probably reach 240-245 or so. However, I run faster, then I can hold 240-245 with my heater on full blast.

We did a lot of testing with a Snap On computer measuring engine temp, tranny temp, engine compartment etc. Everything we can figure out points to radiator capacity. My jeep is heavy and the air is thin. I don't have problems in Moab. Still, it should work, so we'll stay after it.

We've pretty much worked the list EDiveBuddy has. I haven't thought about exhaust. But I will look at that. How much T rise would that cause? The exhaust is one thing that could be different on each rig.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi
As I said my Jeep wieghs 6800lbs empty. I'll be cutting out weight over time as I move to Al parts. JKDinker suggested that I try a JSS radiator. I am going to do that. Its about 15% or so bigger than the BOR and is crossflow. So, we'll see.

It also is true-if I run 45 mph up to eisenhower tunnel, i probably reach 240-245 or so. However, I run faster, then I can hold 240-245 with my heater on full blast.

We did a lot of testing with a Snap On computer measuring engine temp, tranny temp, engine compartment etc. Everything we can figure out points to radiator capacity. My jeep is heavy and the air is thin. I don't have problems in Moab. Still, it should work, so we'll stay after it.

We've pretty much worked the list EDiveBuddy has. I haven't thought about exhaust. But I will look at that. How much T rise would that cause? The exhaust is one thing that could be different on each rig.
Aren't you running the AEV exhaust? Or did you go with a custom exhaust? I don't think exhaust could contribute enough to make that much difference.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump,

Anything new? Has anyone figured out what the remedy is?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hemi Overheating

My hemi has not overheated only because I cut off my driving short on hot days. It tends to run hotter than normal once the outside temp is 95 deg. or better. A separate tranny cooler obviously helps the situation and will preserve your tranny. Anything below these temps and the hemi is very happy in my opinion. I will be getting an aftermarket hood also to help with this issue. I do think that towing would be out of the question for me unless the towing involves towing the Jeep on a trailer to trail sites, runs, etc.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 AM
JK Freak

Has anyone tried an oil cooler to help? I know that summit and Jegs sell external oil coolers, wonder if they would work....mounting location on an off road jeep may be an issue but it is a thought.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Back when I used to do track days with my M3, I would use a "water wetter" product for the radiator. Since the M3s fan was not electric, many of us would remove it completely for a big 5-10hp (whoopie) increase.. and the wetter would bring the temps back down to normal/below.

Its worth a shot at least...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by You Jeep
Thanks guy's I appreciate the input.. I have spoken with several people about this issue and it does exist. I am glad to hear that not everyone is experiancing this though.

Maybe with my fenderwells removed it will not be an issue.
I'll buy your supercharger when you get the Hemi!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
I'll buy your supercharger when you get the Hemi!
I will contact you shortly..
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Jedi

COP4x4 has a new custom built radiator for hemi swaps. Not sure how it performs because it is so new, but the thing is huge and looks pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Vvt hemi