Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What was done to your JK this week?

Old 12-13-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
Installed the ESP/ABS/Traction Control bypass shut off switch to dissengage completely for 2wd drifting and donuts....Since I have the 07 JK, and all the dealers refused to do the computer flash upgrade to do the "7 step steering wheel jig." Works flawlessly.....

I installed the switch in a semi hidden area above the pedals, as I did not want to add any extra switches to be seen by dealer or anyone else to question what it does. The switch is attached to a small metal plate, which is attached to the metal frame behind the lower dash panel. If you pull off the lowest dash panel you will see what I am talking about. It is easily accessable while driving, by reaching down and flick it off.

For everyone's info, I only will be using this for off road driving only, as it dissengages on road safety features that I want to keep.

I will post the thread where the info is to do this mod in a minute....sorry guys can't seem to find the thread anymore...it appears it has been removed or something. You can do a search and try, but I could not find it again for some reason....
I'd be very interested in this mod! Looking forward to your write-up.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Completed the wiring for my Lightforce lights and installed a Optima bettery.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Default Installed OBD II ScanGauge II Digital Gauge and Scan Reset Tool

In late October, I tore my Evap Canister completely off the JK when wheeling. After a couple of days driving around with the busted Canister wrapped in a garbage bag
on the back floor, the "loose fuel cap" light came on followed a few days later by the check engine light. At that point, I replaced the Evap Canister and sending unit,
which was also broken, but the lights stayed on. A little research on the Internet brought the ScanGauge II to my attention. This is a small (5"w X 1.5"h X 1" deep)
backlit display that simply plugs into the JKs OBD II port and does a number of interesting things.
I ordered one from ScanTool.net with an extra 6' OBD II cable for $159.95 including shipping and it arrived a few days later by priority mail.

First, I put the provided velcro strip on the top of the dash where the ScanGauge II would be easy to see:

Then I removed the panel that covers the driver side of the dash by simply easing it loose near the windshield pillar and successively loosening the press fit clips until the panel
came free.

This allowed me to route the OBD II cable mostly behind the dash.

I then replaced the side panel and ran the cable behind the dash, bringing it out through the windshield defroster vent for the time being. Later, I will remove the top
panel with the velcro strip and drill a hole to route the cable just behind the ScanGauge II where the OBD II cable plugs in. The ScanGauge II end of the cable is
connected first, the ignition is turned on and the engine started before the other end of the OBD II cable is plugged in under the dash. The ScanGuage II gets 12V power
from the OBD II port, so that is about all there is to the installation. In a few seconds, the Home Menu appears after the ScanGauge II has negotiated a connection:

Pressing the button next to the <SCAN function on the Home Menu, displayed the first of two stored diagnostic codes, P0456, which is "EVAP PURGE SYSTEM SMALL LEAK".
Pressing the NEXT> button displayed the second code, P0457, the "LOOSE FUEL CAP" code. I should have been able to use the CLEAR> button to erase the
codes and reset the CHECK ENGINE light. For some reason, I could not get this feature to work. The trouble shooting section of the manual does mention that
the ScanGauge II can not reset all vehicles diagnostic codes, so I may have to find another way.

If that was all the ScanGauge II was able to do, I'd be sending it back, but it has a lot of other useful features like being able to display various real time status information
on a digital gauge panel. It can also compensate for speedometer error due to gearing and tire upgrades without reprogramming the JK's CPU and is capable of making
more reasonable distance to empty fuel calculations than the JKs display. With simple button pushes, you can display four of the following at a time:
* Fuel Economy (in MPG or KPL and a couple more)
* Fuel Rate
* Battery Voltage
* Coolant Temperature
* Intake Air Temperature
* Engine Speed (RPM)
* Vehicle speed (MPH and KM/H)
* Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
* Engine Load
* Throttle Position
* Ignition Timing
* Open/Closed Loop

Edit: You can also use the ScanGauge II in more than one vehicle, simply by moving it and plugging it in to any vehicle having an OBD II port. The ScanGauge II can negotiate a connection
with almost any OBD II compatible vehicle including those that are diesel, hybred and propane powered. If you don't mind keying in a few hexadecimal codes, it can even display specific
manufacturer real time information on the virtual gauge panel in addition to the dozen or so standard outputs. As I get into the functionality of it more, I'll report back on anything interesting.

-meljr

Last edited by meljr; 12-13-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meljr
* Fuel Economy (in MPG or KPL and a couple more)
* Fuel Rate
* Battery Voltage
* Coolant Temperature
* Intake Air Temperature
* Engine Speed (RPM)
* Vehicle speed (MPH and KM/H)
* Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
* Engine Load
* Throttle Position
* Ignition Timing
* Open/Closed Loop
Unfortunately it CANNOT get oil temp nor oil pressure for when you bounce your oil pan off a rock and you cant tell you are about to ruin your engine.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Unfortunately it CANNOT get oil temp nor oil pressure for when you bounce your oil pan off a rock and you cant tell you are about to ruin your engine.
a tranny temp would be nice
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

South Louisiana added some snow to my jk and wifes LJ
Attachment 16539

Attachment 16540

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by S10x1000
It can also compensate for speedometer error due to gearing and tire upgrades without reprogramming the JK's CPU

So it displays actual speed on its screen? I got a ticket the other day 84 in a 70 my speedo said 70 I knew it was off but not that off.
Yes, it has a couple of ways you can calibrate the ScanGauge II to reflect a more accurate MPH without having to reprogram the JKs CPU with something like a HyperTech programmer. I could also use a GPS to get real time speed, but this seems like a good feature to have when I finally get to 35s.

-meljr
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Finally got my KC 6" Slimlites installed. Fogs on bull bar and long range on windshield mounts.

Used wiring for original fogs for new fogs:

After installing new wiring harness onto original fog light wires

Fogs finished

Ran wires for windshield lights

Finished long range

Looks great hope mine looks this good when I get mine on.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ytee
Completed the wiring for my Lightforce lights and installed a Optima bettery.
Which Lightforce lights did you get? Did you get one of the covers for them? I'd like to know what you think of them as I've been considering a set. It's between Lightforce and IPF. I've got KC's on my work truck and won't be buying another set of them. I do have PIAA fog lights and they work great.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Hello everyone.
First post to this thread for me.
Ive had the JK (09 Rubi in Deep water Blue) a month now.
The only Mods that Ive done so far was the unintentional evap canister relocation (relocated to the guy riding behind me who stopped and picked it up )

BUT, I have picked up:

a high lift,
a tree saver,
a snatch line,
and shackles for it.

My RR XHD front bumper ( with full width standard ends) and a Warn Powerplant, are on order and should be here this upcoming week.

The weather hasn't been very nice here since I picked it up so here is the best pic that I have.

I'm lookin forward to posting many, many times to this thread

OOOww, I almost forgot, I have my JK stickers on order as well

Last edited by tunes; 12-14-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: What was done to your JK this week?