Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What kind of snorkel do you have?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I have seen about half a dozen hydrolocked JK's and it really only take a big splash thru a puddle to get water in the factory air box. The opening on the 3.8 motor is right in the front corner and while it is under the hood behind the panel it is sucking air like a vacuum and will pull water in thru the gaps. LIke Gjeep said, moving it up and in front of the windshield makes a huge difference. I prefer the rugged ridge/river raider type that don't hang off the jeep and catch on limbs. I will second the pre-cleaner as it will keep the air filters cleaner longer.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somewhere along the development stages, which RR shared with Jeepers, they mentioned making a Donaldson prefilter version of the low mount.
If enough of us ask for it, they may make it. Common, ask for it...
Old 12-26-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
The Rugged Ridge low mount intake IS higher than the stock intake.
Furthermore, it has another, even more important feature:
While water that gets into the stock intake enter right next to the filter (imagine that the Jeep is 'wrongly' tilted...), the pipe from the Rugged Ridge low mount intake goes down, than up to the filter box. At the lowest point, there's a water trap (which can be drained).
Unlike the stock intake, water can't reach the engine through the Rugged Ridge low mount.
The key words are "as long as you are moving forward", and I'd add "at the right speed".
No one can guarantee to always be moving and at the right speed.
The RR Low mount snorkel protects from water in the vast majority of water fording.
To actually need the high mount, the Jeep should be very deep in water, something that most people don't do.
In the video above, by Mark, for instance, the low mount would have done the job.

The much more common advantage of the high, besides sucking much colder air, like the low mount does, is sucking much cleaner air, if the Jeep is in a thick sand-dust left by the vehicle ahead of it. The higher the intake, the cleaner the air.
I bought the complete kit. Never used the high mount. The low mount functions nicely, so the only case I'd install the high mount is for a group offroading on dusty trails in the desert - but I didn't bother to install it even for that.

The one meaningful improvement for any snorkel is replacing the intake, which doesn't really filter soil dust particles, with a Donaldson 3" Top Spin pre-filter. Those really do the job, and are even self cleaning.
That really answers some of the questions I've had about it. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I have seen about half a dozen hydrolocked JK's and it really only take a big splash thru a puddle to get water in the factory air box. The opening on the 3.8 motor is right in the front corner and while it is under the hood behind the panel it is sucking air like a vacuum and will pull water in thru the gaps. LIke Gjeep said, moving it up and in front of the windshield makes a huge difference. I prefer the rugged ridge/river raider type that don't hang off the jeep and catch on limbs. I will second the pre-cleaner as it will keep the air filters cleaner longer.
There's no doubt it is vulnerable, and that driving technique is absolutely critical. I saw a Hummer H1 with the intake at the base of the windshield hydrolock in Houston back in 94. He blipped the throttle and then got on it, causing a massive wave to come over the bow. It just went pop. THat's why I wondered about the RR. It is in the same place as the one on the Hummer. Incidentally, my little YJ crossed in the same spot. It was so deep, my headlight beams shone in the bow wave. I kept it steady and smooth and made it to the other side. I did, however, get water in my axles and diffs, causing some damage. I had stock breather tubes and had not extended them or routed them to the airbox. I'm guessing the Hummer didn't have the complex plumbing with the trap. Sad thing was that the guy said he had an intake extension sitting in a box in his garage and he had not gotten around to installing it. Ouch!

I'm not planning on any deep water with mine, but you never know. Getting above the dust would be more the reasoning for me. Mark sent me plans for extending the breather tubes awhile back, and I bought the parts, so that is certainly in my plans. I've also got an AEV style snorkel and an AEV prefilter, but haven't installed any of it yet. However, I'm intrigued about the Rugged Ridge. There are pluses and minuses to both designs. I've struggled with it because I don't want to cut my hood until I'm sure. Heck, I'm not even sure I'll do it at all. I may just go with the breather tube mod Mark sent to me. That one I'll be doing, for sure.

When I was in South Africa a year and a half ago, all the safari trucks had snorkels, but just for the extreme dust. Interestingly, none of them had prefilters.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Junkie

dmwil,

As dust is your primary concern, and rightly so, because soil dust is very hard particles that, if sucked by the engine, grind it --
Whatever snorkel you eventually install, use a Donaldson Top Spin pre-cleaner.
Nothing matches its' effectiveness in filtering dust.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARB and Donaldson prefilter works for me

Old 12-26-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have aev, if I was going to buy again or replace the one I have I would get the river raider expedition. I've had my aev snorkel top catch on a couple trees.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have been running the topspin for about 5 years. They makes them for about any size intake.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	589158
Old 12-26-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

BTW... Is there a forum vendor who sells Donaldson Top Spin pre-cleaners ?

They come in either plastic or heavier duty - Aluminum & Stainless Steel.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not that I know of but they are easily found on eBay.

Quick Reply: What kind of snorkel do you have?