Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What R U Towing?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What R U Towing?

show us what u tow and how much GTW you think ur pulling?

Last edited by jk.bushwacker; 07-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK or JKU?

I have a JKU and have been certified to pull up to 4,000 lbs. It just depends on which model and how it is configured. Since the JK's are shorter, they get the lower rating, must be a stability issue. I have rented and pulled a single axle 19" camper. It was one of those hybrid, the front and rear folded down for beds, like the pop ups beds on the end. I could feel it back there, once up to speed it was ok, starting off was slow and seemed to push a little when braking.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

I towed a 16 foot tandem axle with three ATVs on it with a Ford Ranger took forever to get going and forever to stop. Would not do that again.

I've towed a fifth wheel with a Dodge Ram 1500 for about two years - one day the oil pump went out while towing - and a rod went through the block.

I learned the hard way - Know what you can tow.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Maybe it is a military thing. You can rent all types of trailers, campers, boats, etc. But before you can rent, you have to go through training on the trailer (mostly for campers on how to operate the gas or electric, water and what not) and the vehicle gets certified by them on what it can tow. They look at the size of engine, the type of tow hitch, transmission cooler, from that they kinda get a base line, then the vehicle pulls this strap attached to a machine that measures the pulling power. They don't tell you what is read, just tell you how much you can pull.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

2008 Bayliner 185BR
Click image for larger version

Name:	284295_10100304403080677_9612961_49345249_8298612_n.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	213404
Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
I've been tossing round an idea of a camper trailer to haul my motorcycle. I understand the GTW is 2000 lbs, but this cant be true. I've seen some jeeps towing 8 person sleepers well over 3500 lbs. so what going on here? show me what u tow and how much GTW you think ur pulling? issues suggestions etc. thanks
This link should answer all your question (- Jeep Towing Guide -)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Towing-Guide&
Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by OverKill
Maybe it is a military thing. You can rent all types of trailers, campers, boats, etc. But before you can rent, you have to go through training on the trailer (mostly for campers on how to operate the gas or electric, water and what not) and the vehicle gets certified by them on what it can tow. They look at the size of engine, the type of tow hitch, transmission cooler, from that they kinda get a base line, then the vehicle pulls this strap attached to a machine that measures the pulling power. They don't tell you what is read, just tell you how much you can pull.
So when you get in an accident towing more than the max limit set by chrysler (or government/or where ever the number came from), your insurance company is going to see this paper by the folks at your on-base recreation shop saying they will rent you a 4,000 lb trailer and be ok with it? Or are they going to point at the max limit your JK left the factory with and cancel your policy on the spot?

I'm not saying you can't tow more safely, especially since european jk's have limits of about twice what ours are, just that I would want to make damn sure I was covered before knowingly going over.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there's a certain liability associated with exceeding your vehicle's GCWR, but it's not necessarily because the vehicle can't handle it:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p-to-7-716-lbs!

My '09 Dodge Ram GCWR was raised several hundred pounds in the '10 model with zero changes to the vehicle (other than the placard on the door pillar). Point is it's rather arbitrary.

Heck, I'd be willing to bet most of us have exceeded the GVWR by adding after market goodies (bumpers, winch, skids, fuzzy dice). Probably OK until you actually get in the vehicle.

I say use common sense. Don't be towing anything that lifts the front tires off the ground!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I was towing a 2100 pound pop up and it does ok. I was towing another one at 1700 pounds, WAY BETTER. These p.o.s 3.8 motors (even with superchips) are just a slug.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Tows it no problem. sags a lil tho gonna try to upgrade to 60 rears to help the sag.

Quick Reply: What R U Towing?