Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Would this work.... "oil pan skid"

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would this work.... "oil pan skid"

I have 3 sheets ( 2- 30x30, 1-23x23) of 1/4 inch sheet metal and would like to make an oil pan skid. I was thinking of making a box and bracketing it to the undercariage, but do not see the possibility without using the bolts surrounding the oil pan. I dont want to mess with those because i'm assuiming there is a gasket. My thought is, cutting pieces (L x W) of oil pan, possibly doubling the plates and securing them with JB weld or some other type of adhesive. My question to anyone who reads this and can offer help, is this worth doing and wise ? Thanx in advance..
Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I have 3 sheets ( 2- 30x30, 1-23x23) of 1/4 inch sheet metal and would like to make an oil pan skid. I was thinking of making a box and bracketing it to the undercariage, but do not see the possibility without using the bolts surrounding the oil pan. I dont want to mess with those because i'm assuiming there is a gasket. My thought is, cutting pieces (L x W) of oil pan, possibly doubling the plates and securing them with JB weld or some other type of adhesive. My question to anyone who reads this and can offer help, is this worth doing and wise ? Thanx in advance..
kinda like the rancho oil pan skid???
it's pretty much the same thought
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of people doing the same thing. I think one guy even used another oil pan off of a truck that was bigger than the jeeps. I would say it should work well. You really don't contact your oil pan much, but if you do, you can ruin it. I'd say it's a good idea.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Pretty much, but what would I use to secure it without having to replace oil pan if I wanted it removed...
Old 05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Gotta get in on this because I need a skid too. My jack has made contact with the oil pan before
I was thinking this weekend coming up or probably next????
Old 05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta get in on this because I need a skid too. My jack has made contact with the oil pan before
They sell the skids for not that much and they are fully functional and strong. Last time I checked, the rancho one was like $150.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GreenJK07

They sell the skids for not that much and they are fully functional and strong. Last time I checked, the rancho one was like $150.
I already have the 1/4" sheet metal (got it for free), so I'd rather fabricate my own. To me $150 is a bit pricy when I have a connection for the sheet metal... Thanx though......
Old 05-22-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

I have work these next couple weekends. But if you get enough good ideas here then I can zip up there for a day and we can get 2 of these built.
I have enough where we can probably knock out a couple diff skids on our rigs...
Old 05-22-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the old days, we just took the oil pan off and welded a 1/4" plate to the pan.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default No Oil Pan Gasket

I just bought and installed the Benchmark-Designs oil pan. There was/is no gasket. RTV is applied between the oil pan and the engine block.

That makes it a pain to remove the oil pan. You have to cut, and pry, and scrape to get the pan off after you have removed all of the bolts.

Quick Reply: Would this work.... "oil pan skid"