Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Your JK and your iPhone (or smartphone)

Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your JK and your iPhone (or smartphone)

Who has any cool iPhone or smartphone mods that they have done?

Mounting locations, software, apps?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firemanli
Who has any cool iPhone or smartphone mods that they have done?

Mounting locations, software, apps?
As for software theres one called Tripcast (made by Jeep) that tracks where you drive and allows you to post it online for others to see (really cool for mapping trails)
Also i used the Daystar dash to mount my iphone except it messes with my jeeps compass
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, does the sweet JK-Forum app for android count!! It is in use constantly, just need a longer battery life!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

I can second the app. It is awesome. I haven't turned my laptop on all week, not when I have the app! I have a car kit for my iPhone. It's pretty handy, plugs right into the 12v outlet. Keeps it neat and easily accessible.
There are a couple cool write ups on the forum. There is also a really cool one about someone installing their iPad in place of their stereo.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

We used a 12v outlet adapter to add another 12v input from under the center dash, then ran wires under the center armrest and shifter trim to the arm rest storage area. A few bucks at walmart, and we got a cigarette lighter plug to wire in, so now we have power in the center storage, and ran the aux input there too. plug in the droid for tunes and gps thru the head unit, and it runs off of the jeep battery, pretty easy.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just got my first smartphone - iPhone 5, 64gb

My main motivation for getting a smartphone was to use it as a camera/video recorder. It's my understanding that its better than available android phones for that. The fact they don't let you upgrade your memory for cheap is clearly gay. I got one of these mounts below that will hopefully help me make goPro type movies. It hasn't shipped just yet to say how well it works.

iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder AMAZON-> iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google Nexus BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS Compact Size 360 degree Rotata
Attachment 375614

KILLER APPS/USES I'VE FOUND

STORE-OFFICIAL JEEP OWNER MANUAL - PDF
If you have iBooks (free app from app store) then you can save the user guide as a PDF. You need to do a search for exactly what your looking for (example-2012 owner manual wrangler pdf). The Jeep web site will kick you into their mobile page that doesn't have the link. You also need to be in the Safari (default) web browser. When it opens you can click "Open in iBooks" under the address bar (Shown here How to save PDF files from Safari directly to iBooks | iMore.com)

OFFICIAL JEEP APP
JEEP® VEHICLE INFO
Jeep | 4X4 Off-Road SUV Crossover Vehicles | Jeep Models using a iphone will take you there.

-This app is alright. I like the idea of having a parking reminder, and timer for parking meters. I will probably use the idea but not the app. It seems to cover all the stuff that is in the watered down User Manual. The one you get with a new car, in the green pouch. It adds some videos. Meh

TRIPCAST - Free from app store. Its made by Jeep. Basically it will let you pin pictures and video to your highlighted trail on a map. It also alows you to share your progress with social media and e-mail. There is another option like this from Columbia sportswear that is highly rated - Columbia’s GPS PAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP_ZSvgZxX8 Wheelin (FREE)
Wheelin is an iPhone/iOS inclinometer app that shows you just that—the roll and pitch of your off-road vehicle in real time. It will hold the max angle with a dim line. You can also put warning tones on.

TRACK GAS WITH FUELLY - FREE
I've been using fuelly for awhile to track MPG on my computer. Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG . It's like hand tracking MPG but much more nice and clean. It also offers tons more info and charts. For example it will track, cost per mile, total fuel cost, average fuel cost, best MPG. Fuelly doesn't have an app, but it does have a web site geared for moble phones.LINK-> Login

GAS PRICES
GasBuddy - It will give you a list of the prices around your location. It will also show you a map with all the gas prices pinned at different locations. It looks like it's kept up to date very well around me at least.

FLASHLIGHT-Free-There are a ton of free apps for this.

WEATHER
The Weather Channel app (Free) - This has an animated precipitation map for your GPS location. It could come in real handy if your wondering if you should put your Jeep's top up, or doors on.

There is also a free app called "Weather Bug" that does about the same stuff.
The best animated precipitation map option might be a app called myRadar (Free).
MyRADAR PICTURE

BREAD-CRUMB APP'S
Map My Hike (Map My Tracks, Map My Ride (bike icon shown), Map My Walk) FREE . I just quickly used Map My Hike on a car ride. It seemed to be super accurate on putting down a bread-crumb trail. I'm pretty sure all these apps are almost identical. The map my tracks one you can do multiple , "events," for tracking with the upgrade.

First Aid by American Red Cross App (Free)
I could see this being very helpful if something goes really wrong.
-
SIDE NOTE
I got a nice, very complete, first aid kit at Sams Club for $20. ( First Aid Center - 326 pieces - Sam's Club ) Red cross has some good kits for pretty cheap too. First Aid Kits - Red Cross Store

KNOTS
These could come in handy if your out of cell phone range.
WHATKNOT (FREE)-

OTHER THOUGHTS
  • Check list for supplies - You don't really need an app
  • Instructional videos. I need a good youTube downloader for this - Hi-Lift, Winching tips, How to mend a cut synthetic winch line
  • download and save PDF's of owner manuals, like for winches, air compressors etc

Quick Reply: Your JK and your iPhone (or smartphone)