Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Your opinion please!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylanjam77
Glad to see you have a good sense of humor. More people need one of those. Yes, you've asked a Jeep JK forum's opinion on 20" rims and you will not likely get many positive responses regarding them. Do what you want with your rig. That being said you asked for opinion's so if ya gonna lift her... Go with a nice set of 17" rims with a 2.5" lift and some meaty tires. 35's since you aren't worried too much about flex down there in florida. She will go just about anywhere with that set up and will look DAMN good with lots of compliments from JEEP drivers.

Hey thanks, I almost wished I would not have asked! Well I tell ya what if I do end up with the larger rims I sure the hell won't tell anyone on this forum I maybe beaten to death. My local 4x4 shop wants me to really get the 20"s they are actually the reason I purchased the the 2 sets for the hummer in the first place. However I am realizing the 20" obviously have no place on a wrangler and have really been considering a nice 18" rim just for the wider beefier look.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newtybar
Keep the 20" on your vehicle made for the street (hummer)....and put some 16's on your Jeep with 33's. Jeeps look a lot more mean and aggressive with more tread and larger backspacing on wheels. With the bling and all that jazz it just looks like you are trying to copy a hummer and doing to it what it wasn't intended for...(hence when someone said youd be better off in a hummer).

You already have two hummers that look nice and ready to rock the pavement, why not try to go a slightly different route with the Jeep?
I maybe doing just that, I definitely agree with the backspacing.
Thanks
Jason
r6realtor
Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate everyones opinion, thanks for not beatin me to bad
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry we didnt beat you to death ya did ask though

Just gotta ask how much do those 20's cost? Ever think thats why that shop wants you to get them so bad?

Like others have said be different with your JEEP specially since you already have 2 hummers that are rolling 20's

I just dont get the whole 20's and 24's and 26's rim thing. I went to buy a dodge ram pickup back in 2003 and the dealer tries selling me everyone on his lot buy saying "hey its got 20's on it" and back I said its a truck with car tires on it they had 40 pickups with 20's and car tires on them...No thanks so I bought a durango haha....yesterday I saw a mid 80's chevy caprice with what looked like about 24's on it, I almost crashed laughing at that one. I'm also not saying your hummers have car tires on them, just examples of the hole crazy wheel/tire thing. The tire and wheel companies who are behind it( hahaha) all are making boat loads of money off of it thats for sure, the rims are way more expensive and the tires(which use less rubber with the low profile side wall) cost them less to make, so more money for them again

Anywho have fun with YOUR jeep and do what you want
Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
JK Super Freak

One final thing to consider...........do you ever plan to vacation outside of Florida? Maybe beefing up your Jeep for off road will not only make it look boss, but will also ready it for a few unforgettable trips to places like Moab, Silverton, Colorado, and other great vacation spots. You will be missing out on some wonderful experiences if you don't get out and play once in awhile. How about going to the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab? Give it some thought.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 20''s

I personally dont care for those wheels, the spokes are to thin and dont have that rugged look..IMO. I also would go with a 35 at least if your gonna do 20's....my 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not gonna beat you up at all, it's your ride, do whatever you want.

As far as my opinion goes:
  • I have seen pics of some Jeeps with 20's that really looked nice, but they where lifted and tired proportionately. IF your going to offroad it, go big enough on the tires to ge them to do what they are meant to do. A rubber band on a hoop is NOT going to flex around a rock/tree/etc. and grab hold. But if street is your thing, those would work fine.
  • I wouldnt opt for 20's for myself mostly do to the outrageous cost of the rims and then the tires to boot. (not to mention limited availability of decent treads at this time)
  • If i where to run 20's, i would go to a 37" or larger tire, so i could air them down enough to get them to flex properly offroad.
  • The lift i would need to run them in that combo is just so far out of my price range it may as well be on Pluto.
AS a side note, and something you may want to consider from all the people beating you up on this:
A lot of people here that are hopping all over 17's and 18's seem to have forgotten that just a few a few short years ago (almost still measurable in months if you use all your digits), THEY where the bling wheels of the yuppie-wannabe offroading crowd. And WOW did they take a hammering for even mentioning them. Now 17's/18's are normal, and the desirable option; so how long before people think 16's are dinky and 20's are normal? I would venture to guess that is coming quicker than people think, whether they like it or not.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

20s on a Jeep! Owns two Hummers! Not one, but TWO! Come on.

I've got my spray, just in case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	258Troll_spray.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	9723
Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
20s on a Jeep! Owns two Hummers! Not one, but TWO! Come on.

I've got my spray, just in case.

Attachment 9723
Come on now, look at my join date over a year ago. I have been lurking for a while and just picked up my jeep this Sat. if you read my post you can tell I am not trying to stir the pot, I certainly could have gotten very defensive about some of the replies here but have not and Iam truly just trying to get an opinion. I just happen to love being offroad and kind of like the larger wheels and actually put the larger wheels on all of my toys, we have no rocks to speak of here so the larger wheels on my rhino and grizz make them handle awesome off road and fly down the trail (the few we have). I always have gone for the larger 14" wheel instead of the 12" even on my quads, like I said if we had any rocks larger than pebbles here it would be different story!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rhinos arent my thing...

but this Quad is SAweet!

Quick Reply: Your opinion please!