Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$$$Spare key?!$$$

Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah a key cut a Wal-Mart will start the jeep but it shuts down 2 seconds later. An independent lock guy will come around and cut one for about $60.00.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The replacement key ,just for start(not keyless entry) has P/N 5143553AA.
Complete procedure,cuting and programing I did two weeks ago.

Key with chip - 50$
programing - 20$ (if you have two valid keys,you can do it yourself)
Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Just got one today... only had one key. $63.00 at Jeep dealer in Aurora CO. Now on e-bay they currently have blanks for 17 bucks... if you have two keys you can have others cut and programmed just by following the instructions... /i might get a couple more made myself....
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my two blanks and programmed them. cheap insurance!

as mentioned above, definitely see this post for details:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...11#post1197111

Rant: I don't begrudge any business their reasonable profit. Heck, I'll even pay a little more to get quality customer service, especially from the local "little guy"; but $250 for a spare key? That is gouging, plain and simple.

Mental note to self. Next time I negotiate for a new car I am getting two extra spare keys and a service manual thrown in!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

When I bought my Jeep in '07 I decided to get a third key. That's when I learned there are a number of very similar keys--that can't be programmed for the JKs. So be certain that the blank you're getting is the correct one. I got mine for $25. $10 for a locksmith to cut. Free to program it myself (though the procedure in the '07 manual wasn't exactly correct--it still programmed).

Anyway, in the process of chasing all of this down I visited a local Chrysler/Dodge dealer (not Jeep). He said they could provide, cut and program a new key for $75. So, the lesson is: Check around with more than just the Jeep dealers. You may find a better price elsewhere (or more conveniently located, which was the case for me).
Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took delivery of my Wrangler they had lost my spare key somewhere during the rustproofing and inspection processes. The owner of the dealership promised that if it was not found they would give me a new one after 1 week. I could swear he said it was around $80 for them to replace which was why he asked me for the week to look. Check another dealer.

Quick Reply: $$$Spare key?!$$$