Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$10k build challenge

Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some posts here needed to be deleted. Lets please exercise some respect and keep on topic. Thanks Jeep on
Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can flat out call me a prick if you want, would not be the first time. You should read my profile sometime. Every couple of months we get a kid on here dreaming about building a jeep and asks the same question you did and the responses are generally pretty entertaining. Same thing 37's and a 4" lift generally from one of the big name lift companies like off road evolution or rock krawler. They also throw numbers out just like you and $10k aint shit for a modded jeep. One dumbass even kept a running total of how much he spent in his signature to show off how much he had spent on his jeep. The funny thing is that he spent $19k on a total piece of shit and was proud of it.
Maybe some of us don't want to waste our money on the first go-around, so we do our research. I ask millions of questions, I make threads on ideas only to learn. It hurts no one to read them, if you see one, move on instead of being an attention-whore and getting into things you obviously have no reason to begin. This is a forum, not a debate site. Use it for what it is. If that kid is proud of whatever he built, shitty or not, it's his rig not ours to judge.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

IMO half the fun of a Jeep is making it your own. Whether you are a die hard rock crawling, spine crushing, off-roader, or a soccer mom from the burbs. Jeeps are like Legos for big kids. Plane and simple Chrysler designed these (especially the latest ones) to perform well on an off road and designed to appeal to a broad range of owners and serve as a true multi purpose utility vehicle for whatever the primary purpose is. Hard core off-roader, daily driver, and everything In between. If you want to bounce off trees or curbs at the mall, have fun.

With 10k you have a lot of great choices to get started. I started with suspension, gears, and tires the first year I owned my JKU. We primarily run ours in the dunes so I decided on a 4.5" Clayton long arm, hydrolic bump stops, 4:88's, and 37". Mine is just a toy we leave at our seasonal camper in the summer and hall friends and family around in the sand.

If it were my DD I would put the money towards a complete quality bolt on 2.5" to 3" lift, a good a/t tire34" or 35", gears, wheels, and have money left over for some decent audio. I'm a music guy and the stock (even premium) systems are pretty bad. The research and discussions are all part of the fun. Enjoy your new rig!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

regardless of what you do with your jeep Mall Crawl/Rock Crawl what there trying to tell you is in either situation 37" tires will make a Piss poor ride with out a regear.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blown-JK
IMO half the fun of a Jeep is making it your own. Whether you are a die hard rock crawling, spine crushing, off-roader, or a soccer mom from the burbs. Jeeps are like Legos for big kids. Plane and simple Chrysler designed these (especially the latest ones) to perform well on an off road and designed to appeal to a broad range of owners and serve as a true multi purpose utility vehicle for whatever the primary purpose is. Hard core off-roader, daily driver, and everything In between. If you want to bounce off trees or curbs at the mall, have fun. With 10k you have a lot of great choices to get started. I started with suspension, gears, and tires the first year I owned my JKU. We primarily run ours in the dunes so I decided on a 4.5" Clayton long arm, hydrolic bump stops, 4:88's, and 37". Mine is just a toy we leave at our seasonal camper in the summer and hall friends and family around in the sand. If it were my DD I would put the money towards a complete quality bolt on 2.5" to 3" lift, a good a/t tire34" or 35", gears, wheels, and have money left over for some decent audio. I'm a music guy and the stock (even premium) systems are pretty bad. The research and discussions are all part of the fun. Enjoy your new rig!
Great response. Definitely interested in the Clayton premium 4.5 with bilstein 5160, which probably isn't too far off the quality of yours. How good is the plushness over bumps/etc?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

The 5160's have an excellent and plush ride on the road. They also do well for moderate off-roading. In my situation they were valved just a little to soft for the dunes. Because of this though they had a softer ride on the road which I preferred. But as I mentioned this is not a DD for me. We run in the sand at higher speeds than in a typical offroad environment. Because of this I sold them and went with a set of Fox Res. The Fox are much firmer both on and off road. The only regret I have is not going coilovers from the start for the type of wheeling I do. The Fox will serve there purpose until then (I don't have the heart yet to cut into the cargo area of my Jeep for the rear install). I am quite sure you will be happy with the 5160's. Just make sure if you are purchasing them or any other standard shock separately from a lift kit that they are valved for a JK and the correct length for your lift.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=arjeeper;3885343]Performance leveling kit. 16" wheels of some sort. 255/85/r16 Toyo Open Country MTs. The rest on beer.[/QUOTE

I think we have a winner here. BEER right answer.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have around 10K spended on my 2013 JKUR

So far I'm satisfied with the result and my JK is a DD mild off roader.

I do not wheel in extreme terrain, just reasonnable trail riding.

I drive mostly on road 90-95% of the time so It did not make sense to built it for hardcore offroading.

With 2.5'' lift and 35'' tires you should be able to build something good below 10K.

Like Dirtman said, If you intend to wheel hardcore and put tires larger than 35'' it would make more sens to buy a used jeep and do a purpose build but with a much larger budget than 10K. Just pro rock 60 or rock jock 60 axles alone cost that...

See my profile for more info.

Quick Reply: $10k build challenge