Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$3000 over MSRP...ha!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who would even ask me to pay MSRP or above can lick my BAWLZ!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Anyone who would even ask me to pay MSRP or above can lick my BAWLZ!
Agreed. I have NEVER paid over MSRP for a vehicle and never will. I refuse to get sucked into the hype or let emotion control a business negotation. I tell them that I will give them a fair profit, but they can gouge the next sucker that walks in.

Screw 'em - most car salemen are ethically just below whale crap - if you pay what they are asking, then they think you are a sucker. If you negotiate hard, you are a grinder. Either way, they don't respect or like you. So all things being equal, they dislike me all they want if it means I save a few grand off the top.

And consider this... anyone who consented to pay over MSRP just validated the dealer's idea that they can get away with it.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

ran into this problem last july when i was shopping for my first unlimted... one of the stealerships in the area had the "ULTIMATE PROTECTION PACKAGE" listed at the bottom of the sticker for the great price of $2199.

i asked the salesman what was included... he stated "super high quality paint protection, you will never have to wax this jeep, also an underbody protection coat is added, as well as interior protection" BS BS BS i just about laughed in his face...

i told him i would take the jeep home right then if he would take his $2200 car wash and interior detail off the price... he told me that they have customers every day that pay for the $2200 car wash.... i told him he just lost a sale and went down the street and picked up my 1st unlimted (redrock) for $2000 under sticker... it ended up being a piece of sh!t, but i still saved the $$.....and it was replaced by chrysler with my sahara that was $5K more on the sticker for $0...

Last edited by jcollett; 01-31-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

I purchased mine for invoice. And it was truly one of the last X's with the options I wanted in So Cal. I had been tracking 2 X's move from dealer to dealer and then there was only 1 left. A few dealers tried to charge me over MSRP, I laughed so hard. I replied " Yea, that's cool about so many ppl paying over, but I'm telling you I'm not one of them!"

Finally got to Tuttle-Click Irvine, ca, where he gave me the exact price I was willing to spend. Ken was freaking cool as sht... but the finance dep kinda was weak. I was tired of telling him I didn't want the 1400 lame alarm system unless it could also give me a massage and head while I'm driving...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just like everything else you have to shop around to get the price you feel is fare.
Find it cheeper then drive in to that dealership with the sticker and show them they didn't get the sale. They will act like it doesn't matter but know, they missed a commition.

I got mine for about $150 over invoice and checked the internet. jeep.com and dealer sites.

BTW if anyone thinks invoice is the dealer price think again, there is so much wheeling and dealing in the
auto industry you just wouldn't believe it. The dealer makes money when they sell at invoice. BTW finance before you go to the dealer, they get a cut if you finance it at the dealership. DON'T tell them you have financing in place before you have a signed deal.

Sam

Last edited by mcds99; 01-31-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

I actually paid '07 price for my '08. I went in with the online build form printed out showing what I wanted and it ahd the total at the bottom. They gave it to me for that price, so I got it about 1000 under MSRP.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slingshot
I got same extra charges on my 1% under invoice deal. It was explained to me that the customer really isn't supposed to see the invoice

Give that lying dork a wedgie. That is total BS and they are blowing smoke at you.

I used my vendor discount and my dealer was cool about it. Took me into the office and we built a couple variations on the DC online sales system (not the consumer web site) until I was happy. Each had all the prices (msrp, invoice, discount price) printed on it. When I was happy, he wrote me a quote sheet on that price plus the paperwork that is part of the vendor program and finalized the order as I wrote the down payment check. Heck, he gave me the print outs to take home. 3 days later he gave me my d-1 status and build date.

Hard to find folks you can trust. 10 years earlier we were new in town and the GC had a problem while I was overseas. The wife stopped by and the owner replaced a bulb and fixed the wiper before telling her no charge. She said next jeep we were buying there. The son is cut of the same cloth as his dad.

Cannot say enough for Medlyn Motors in Milford NH.

homer

john
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

paid $20,900 for my bone stock 2007 6sp. x. never heard of anyone paying over sticker

Quick Reply: $3000 over MSRP...ha!