JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   $40k Price Mark (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/%2440k-price-mark-219699/)

JeepJack 02-22-2012 09:49 AM

$40k Price Mark

Newbie here... And I mean new to everything Jeep. Very much enjoy reading and seeing the pix posted by others here so thank you to all. Purchased my first Jeep last August. 2011 black 4-door Rubicon. Don't laugh, but I didn't even know what I was buying, just loved this Jeep. Since then I've spent a lot of time on here and actually glad I did buy the Rubicon model. The wife hooked me up a nice bday gift, had a smittybilt winch installed and KC lights. Over the next few months Im looking to give it 35 or 37 tires, lift, and some bumper changes... Which also means tons more help from everyone. I love hunting so back roads would be about as much trails as I was planning. But after see what a jeep can do (YouTube) and here, I'm ready go try a few climbs. Best part is my boys (20, 17 and 12) can help with the build and it will be perfect times when we get to take it jeeping.

That said, when I purchased my Jeep it was loaded with everything stickered at $38k. I didnt pay that and I feel like I got a good deal from the dealership, but you know how that goes. Anyway, the only complaint I have on my Rubicon is I would like a bit more ... Get up and go. So really playing around with thought to go trade for the 2012 rubicon. Looked this weekend they had 3... $42k, $41k and $47k. Maybe it's just me.. Not much higher than what sticker was on mine...... But that $40k mark just a bit hard to swallow. Think I'll keep the 2011.

bofa 02-22-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JeepJack (Post 2864325)
Newbie here... And I mean new to everything Jeep. Very much enjoy reading and seeing the pix posted by others here so thank you to all. Purchased my first Jeep last August. 2011 black 4-door Rubicon. Don't laugh, but I didn't even know what I was buying, just loved this Jeep. Since then I've spent a lot of time on here and actually glad I did buy the Rubicon model. The wife hooked me up a nice bday gift, had a smittybilt winch installed and KC lights. Over the next few months Im looking to give it 35 or 37 tires, lift, and some bumper changes... Which also means tons more help from everyone. I love hunting so back roads would be about as much trails as I was planning. But after see what a jeep can do (YouTube) and here, I'm ready go try a few climbs. Best part is my boys (20, 17 and 12) can help with the build and it will be perfect times when we get to take it jeeping.

That said, when I purchased my Jeep it was loaded with everything stickered at $38k. I didnt pay that and I feel like I got a good deal from the dealership, but you know how that goes. Anyway, the only complaint I have on my Rubicon is I would like a bit more ... Get up and go. So really playing around with thought to go trade for the 2012 rubicon. Looked this weekend they had 3... $42k, $41k and $47k. Maybe it's just me.. Not much higher than what sticker was on mine...... But that $40k mark just a bit hard to swallow. Think I'll keep the 2011.

They might have some dealer-installed options on them. You can always order exactly what you want a just wait a few weeks. Also, with some of the car buying services, you can easily get 1% below "invoice" (not truly what the dealer paid, but that's how it always appears). I've heard of some getting 3-4% below with a bit of negotiating. I'll certainly be giving it a go here in a month or two.

deathboyardee 02-22-2012 06:05 PM

I have seen quite a few MSRP for 42k. There is a COD edition at my dealer that has an MSRP of $47K I remember when I bought my first YJ Rio Grande edition off the show room floor in 1995 for a little over $13K. I never thought I would see the day a Wrangler approach the 50K mark. :crazyeyes:

Pjohn 02-22-2012 07:24 PM

You can join tread lightly for 3 years for $60 and get preferred pricing. You have to join for 3 years to get the discount.

Reesedog 02-23-2012 04:51 AM

My Unlimited MW3 ran me $45k, that was with every option for the Rubicon minus the soft top. The after market stuff that was factory installed was the hood (came color matched), AEV rock rails, front/rear bumpers, mopar fuel filler door, tail light guards and deeper slush mats. Not that it is aftermarket, but the interior upgrades are really nice as well, the seats are super comfy. They are leather with cloth in the center which gives in just the right places and they're heated. I might be missing something, but I don't have the build sheet in front of me. To me it was worth every bit of $45k, wouldn't have got the bang for my buck if it were a Hummer for sure.

grizzwald 02-24-2012 11:55 AM

Dude, you could have bought a 2 door sport, and put in Dana 60's and a long arm kit, plus coil overs, 40's, and so much more for that price. Hope your happy with it though. Don't baby it. Take it out first opportunity and treat it like a jeep should be treated. But then again, you might have a badass jeep already, so kudos too ya ! Put up some pics !

tommyluv78 02-24-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by deathboyardee (Post 2865272)
I never thought I would see the day a Wrangler approach the 50K mark. :crazyeyes:

wait until the v8 is a factory option, the price will be insane.

m998dna 02-24-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JeepJack (Post 2864325)
Anyway, the only complaint I have on my Rubicon is I would like a bit more ... Get up and go. So really playing around with thought to go trade for the 2012 rubicon. Looked this weekend they had 3... $42k, $41k and $47k. Maybe it's just me.. Not much higher than what sticker was on mine...... But that $40k mark just a bit hard to swallow. Think I'll keep the 2011.

You can build a Rubicon Unlimited with most major options and you'll be around $39K ...

When you start adding fluff like Katskin leather, side air bags and 730 navigation unit is when it approaches $42K. The $47K is probably not a Rubicon, more like a special model...

Be glad their not upcharging for the 3.6L DOHC and NAG1 transmission...

:gak:

RubiDude 02-24-2012 12:49 PM

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that the hp gains are great and will surely make the 12 way better on the highway. However, the torque gains are minimal at best...and for wheeling that is where its at. Don't get me wrong, I would love a new one, but wont put myself into hawk...happy with mine for now. One-day though I will have a hemi jeep!

Christarp 02-24-2012 12:59 PM

Since 2012 models came out everyone is scrambling to get the 2012 and so dealers are pumping up the prices cause they know they can and still sell them. My dad got his 2011 rubicon last year for 26 grand. I got my 07 sahara unlimited for 20.

JamesWyatt 02-24-2012 03:22 PM

The 2011 I just got was MSRP $39,500, and I got it for about $31,500 iirc. You won't get jack for your 2011 if you trade it. Just give the 2011 to your kids and buy yourself a 2012 ;)

psk 02-24-2012 08:28 PM

crazy you can get a LR4 for about the same price as a fully loaded MW edition rubi unlimited. Safe to say you get a HELL of a lot more vehicle in the LR4 than you get in a jeep and honestly it isn't even remotely close (yes I know they are completely different). I'm a LR guy but due to the fact I can get an unlimited rubi for what it'd cost me to buy another D90 I'm in the process of ordering a jeep (am keeping my 04 discovery). The D90 I'd want would be 15-20 years old for the same price as a new unlimited rubi. If I had unlimited $ I'd go with the D90 but I don't and it is much cheaper to mod/fix a jeep. Probably buying my gf the LR4 after I pop the ?

Sharkey 02-24-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by psk
crazy you can get a LR4 for about the same price as a fully loaded MW edition rubi unlimited. Safe to say you get a HELL of a lot more vehicle in the LR4 than you get in a jeep and honestly it isn't even remotely close (yes I know they are completely different). I'm a LR guy but due to the fact I can get an unlimited rubi for what it'd cost me to buy another D90 I'm in the process of ordering a jeep (am keeping my 04 discovery). The D90 I'd want would be 15-20 years old for the same price as a new unlimited rubi. If I had unlimited $ I'd go with the D90 but I don't and it is much cheaper to mod/fix a jeep. Probably buying my gf the LR4 after I pop the ?

To each their own, but I wouldn't choose the LR4 over a Wrangler even if the LR4 was only $25k. I can't stand the looks, the fixed top, non-removable doors, independent suspension...the list goes on. Admittedly, I love Jeeps though and I respect that not everyone feels the same way. To me though, you'd be getting a HELL of a lot less vehicle buying the LR.

m998dna 02-24-2012 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by psk (Post 2869223)

You're full of shit ...... local MSRP LR4 Base price point is $55K. When the LR3s were introduced they were $55K for the HSE.

My GF hates the LR3/LR4 look .... says it reminds her of a rolling refrigerator. I drove a friends LR3 HSE when they first came out... they didn't exactly establish a good reputation when the suspensions would deflate and you couldn't move the vehicle. Plus the paint was peeling off the front bumpers.

I would have bought a Disco II if they had just improved on that platform... went too upscale. So I bought a new 2005 Land Cruiser and the damn frame (welds) was defective - Lemon Law'd that one. $65K rattle trap ...

People bitch about Jeep leaks and rattles, but most haven't really experienced that the same happens to the upscale models.

:what?:

deathboyardee 02-25-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 2865421)
Yes, but what's on that COD JK? The bumper is worth a few bucks, the hood is a grand (plus getting it painted), as well as whatever else there is. It's just allowing people to buy an already built jeep from the dealer with a warranty (which is important to some while meaningless to others).

Go find the thread about how much ppl have spent on their JK... many are above the 10K mark. My wishlist is 30k+ - of which I'll realistically complete 15/20k over the next 3-4 years.

I definitely would not call a COD JK an already built Jeep. It's a Rubicon with different bumpers, rails, hood, black Rubicon wheels and some silly badges all over it. You can get the AEV Mopar branded hood painted from several vendors here for $1100.00, Mopar branded AEV rear bumper $850.00 (for the price of the COD they should have used the rear bumper with tire carrier), Mopar branded AEV front winch mount bumper $1050.00 (they should have included the winch) and the AEV Mopar branded rock rails which are really the same as the enhanced Rubicon Mopar rails which run $550.00 and you get screwed because they don't credit you for the standard Rubicon rails which should be worth $300.00. So you are looking at $3500.00 in actual accessories that do not come on a standard Rubicon. You can buy all of the accessories when you buy your Jeep new and they will carry the standard factory warranty or if you do it after the fact 12/12. IMO it is all marketing. No one will even know what the MW3 means in a couple of years.

To each his own. I have already spent well over $3500.00 on my 2012 and already have another couple grand I am getting ready to put into it. To me that is already way too much but I know it is the never ending cycle of being a Jeeper. :thumbsup:

Think about starting from a COD platform at $47K then doing a nice lift, nice tires/wheels and you have already eclipsed over 50K. :doh: I'm not hating on the model because it is a cool looking Jeep. I am just saying there is no way in hell it is worth close to 50K for what you get.

psk 02-25-2012 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by m998dna (Post 2869298)
You're full of shit ...... local MSRP LR4 Base price point is $55K. When the LR3s were introduced they were $55K for the HSE.

My GF hates the LR3/LR4 look .... says it reminds her of a rolling refrigerator. I drove a friends LR3 HSE when they first came out... they didn't exactly establish a good reputation when the suspensions would deflate and you couldn't move the vehicle. Plus the paint was peeling off the front bumpers.

I would have bought a Disco II if they had just improved on that platform... went too upscale. So I bought a new 2005 Land Cruiser and the damn frame (welds) was defective - Lemon Law'd that one. $65K rattle trap ...

People bitch about Jeep leaks and rattles, but most haven't really experienced that the same happens to the upscale models.

:what?:

I've seen MW editions for almost 50 with dealer options. Local Jeep place here added 5k to theirs because it was a special order or special edition and told me they couldn't take any off. I've owned four land rovers all bought from the same dealer in Greenville. I could get it discounted enough to buy it for the same price or cheaper as they want for the MW at the Jeep dealer so no I'm not full of shit. Obviously at a different dealer I could get the fully loaded MW for 45 or 47 but I could get the LR4 for 50 or right at it. Considering when I get my Jeep in I'll put 20K minimum in it to have it like I want it the Jeep will have more in it than any LR4 I'd ever own. LR4 used would pull more money and yes I know people like to say the Jeeps hold their value great and they do but the aftermarket parts don't and the LR4 holds its value as well. LR4 already has tons of power (it is a huge upgrade driving wise over the LR3...I owned one for a short while and hated it...have driven several LR4's and love them). The tires/front protection/light guards I'll add to the LR4 I'm buying for my soon to be fiancee will cost under 5K total. If you knew what you are talking about you'd see I'm not fos. Jeeps are expensive as all hell for what you get. I love Jeeps don't get me wrong and I'm buying one but they are definitely not a great value.

m998dna 02-25-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by psk (Post 2869859)
I've seen MW editions for almost 50 with dealer options. Local Jeep place here added 5k to theirs because it was a special order or special edition and told me they couldn't take any off. I've owned four land rovers all bought from the same dealer in Greenville. I could get it discounted enough to buy it for the same price or cheaper as they want for the MW at the Jeep dealer so no I'm not full of shit. Obviously at a different dealer I could get the fully loaded MW for 45 or 47 but I could get the LR4 for 50 or right at it. Considering when I get my Jeep in I'll put 20K minimum in it to have it like I want it the Jeep will have more in it than any LR4 I'd ever own. LR4 used would pull more money and yes I know people like to say the Jeeps hold their value great and they do but the aftermarket parts don't and the LR4 holds its value as well. LR4 already has tons of power (it is a huge upgrade driving wise over the LR3...I owned one for a short while and hated it...have driven several LR4's and love them). The tires/front protection/light guards I'll add to the LR4 I'm buying for my soon to be fiancee will cost under 5K total. If you knew what you are talking about you'd see I'm not fos. Jeeps are expensive as all hell for what you get. I love Jeeps don't get me wrong and I'm buying one but they are definitely not a great value.

BFD, who cares what you can buy a LR4 Base for... as long as you continue talking apples and oranges this is a pointless subject. Value is only what one perceives. See what it will cost to convert your LR4 to live axles... then you can pretend to have a D90. Maybe you should add up what it costs to convert a JKU to a 6.1L Hemi to make it LR4 V8-like... or maybe you should explore a MB G-Class for your dream off-road vehicle and have something you can drive to the Ritz-Carlton.

... or just go buy a plain old Jeep, enjoy and stop comparing to your desired state of being.

:beer:

JohnnyQuik 02-25-2012 01:17 PM

A CJ in 1982 had a window sticker of around $10,000.

Guess what that gets you in 2012 dollars?

A $24,000 JK Sport with few options. A 4 Door Rubicon is of course a lot more, but Jeep really hasn't raised its pricing in 30 years.

mkjeep 02-25-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik (Post 2870171)

A $24,000 JK Sport with few options. A 4 Door Rubicon is of course a lot more, but Jeep really hasn't raised its pricing in 30 years.

You would be correct. I went to a dealership at the time and CJ-7's were in the upper 9 grand sticker price. Ended up paying 4grand for a 77' CJ-5. Floorboards were rotted too.:thumbsup:

deathboyardee 02-25-2012 05:15 PM

A base CJ-7 MSRP in 1982 was $7765.00. The CJ-7 Jamboree Edition which would have been the Rubicon or Sahara of today fully optioned came in right at $12,000.

B.S. 02-25-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by deathboyardee

A base CJ-7 MSRP in 1982 was $7765.00. The CJ-7 Jamboree Edition which would have been the Rubicon or Sahara of today fully optioned came in right at $12,000.

Adjusted for for inflation over the past thirty years would put it comparable to a mid thirties priced JK (Rrubicon). Today's Jeeps are pricey to some folks but really they are priced similarly.

Christarp 02-25-2012 08:01 PM

Now now, that depends where you shop!

I've seen the 2012 sports (albeit barebones and 2 door) for 19k

Reesedog 02-26-2012 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by grizzwald (Post 2868323)
Dude, you could have bought a 2 door sport, and put in Dana 60's and a long arm kit, plus coil overs, 40's, and so much more for that price. Hope your happy with it though. Don't baby it. Take it out first opportunity and treat it like a jeep should be treated. But then again, you might have a badass jeep already, so kudos too ya ! Put up some pics !

I fully intend to have it up in the black hills and Colorado this summer for a week or two. I bought it for offroad use. I do have some pictures of it in my album if you wanna check it out.
For the people bagging on it, you didn't buy it. I am happy with my $45K Jeep. It wasn't your cash, nor has anyone asked you to go buy one. I didn't buy it for the "stupid badges", if that were the case and I was some sort of goofy fanboy of MW3 I would have bought a regular Rubi and had stickers or decals made for it. I bought it knowing it came with a few things I wouldn't be able to get right off the bat due to a spouse and her opinions on spending money on aftermarket items. You also need to take into account that they are in limited numbers as well, mine is #19 of 3500 plus with the stuff being factory installed it will help if I ever do decide to sell it. I am not going to lie and say that I don't enjoy the many people who I have caught snapping pictures of it when it is parked in a parking lot or even when I am driving down the road. I have had numerous people come up and ask to see inside just because of that badge. And the boys in my cub scout pack absolutely love the fact that they get to roll in it from time to time. My two kids think it is the baddest assed thing on the planet as well. You guys who don't like the price can snub your noses at the model all you want, I am more than happy with what I got for my money. :beer:

directedby 02-26-2012 10:07 PM

i got my 2012 Unlimited Rubicon for $43,000 fully loaded - 4:10, Temp Control, Katskin Leather seats, Computer Controls, all power, dual tops, heated seats -