Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$6K more for the Rubicon???

Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $6K more for the Rubicon???

Hello. I'm new to the forums and I don't own a Wrangler...but I'm hoping to become a real member of this forum soon. So, as I begin my search for the perfect JK...I came across these two:

09 Rubicon (2dr) for $28K...MSRP of $32.7K...options include power windows, auto, and nav.

09 X (2dr) for $22K...MSRP of $25K...options include power windows, and auto.

Here's my main question...Is the Rubicon worth the extra $6K?

Also, what does everyone think of these prices...are either of these a good deal?

As far as usage, it primarily be my DD, but I hope to take it on some trails...especially as I learn more about off roading...and definitely thinking about some light mods (lift, wheels, tires) once the bank account refreshes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

I personally think it all depends on what you plan on doing with your jeep. I just picked up a 4 door rubi and am glad I went that route. I looked at the Sarah and the X and figured It would save me alot of time and a little money to go with the rubi. seeing I was wanting all the extras...and more

Whatever you decide, it will be a blast ether way
Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

I would love to have the Rubicon; however, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth $6k more than an X.

For $23K...I would jump at that.

I guess I need to keep looking for dealers that are more desperate and willing to haggle.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah...seems like I missed the window for getting great deals from Jeep...I'll keep looking to see if I can get a Rubi for lower than $28...or try to find an X for $20...hope it's not impossible...or maybe I'll need to wait for the next round of rebates on the 2010s.

As far as options, the Rubi has automatic transmission, navigation, power package, and soft top. Definitely don't need the auto and nav...but seems like slim pickings...

Thanks for the feedback...the search continues...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Choices choices choices ahhh the choices.

I think for anyone less than hardcore, the X will work great. BUT if you get he bug and star hitting some of the black trails you'll wished you opted for the Rubi. I wish I had but I doubt I would ever have pulled the trigger on a Rubi, just too much money. I've built my X into darn near a rubi and it's been cheaper but I've learned so much along the way and that I'd do it the same all over again.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
JK Super Freak

The key is to get 3.73 or even better ... 4.10 gears in your X if you don't want to spend the money on a Rubicon. I'm stuck with 3.21 gears which really limits tire size and off-road capability. Getting the higher ratio gears is SO MUCH cheaper as a factory option than having it installed later ...

I got my X with the S package for $19K. I have already added the E-Disco Sway bar and Rubi springs and shocks ... all new take-off parts for around $500 for parts + shipping costs. I could go out and buy new Mopar front and rear 4.10 locker axles and still be under the cost of a factory Rubicon. The only downside is that none of the parts I add on are warranteed like a factory Rubicon would be.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do some looking around at the parts catalogs... Jeep parts are expensive!
I opted for the rubi just because it already has alot of the stuff I would have had to add to the X model... i.e. Dana 44s, 4:10 gears, lockers, e-discos, etc...
I have alot of buddies who have the X, and after doing all their mods, they have as much or more in their X's as I do with my Rubi!!!
It comes down to what you intend to do with it. The X is a very capable jeep, the Rubi is even more capable! and with all the aftermarket, you can make a jeep anything you want.
Play hard ball with the dealers, tell them the price you will pay, and walk if they won't bite! you will be surprised at what the dealers will come down to vs. no sale!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Rubi if you have the cash. It is worth the extra. If you don't get an X with the 4.10 gears and you will be just as happy for a long time. It is a very capable vehicle and can be modified to be just as good or better than the rubi in the long run.

Another factor to consider is the resale of parts. If you go super extreme, the rubi parts you remove will probably be able to be resold. There is not really a market for the X or Sarah parts.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Order your Rubi from yoru dealer and pay a few hundred more than dealer invoice. If your dealer won't do that find one that will. We have 2 Jeep dealerships in town. One is still trying to charge more than sticker... I walked away from them in late 2007 and ordered mine from the other for $400 over dealer invoice. Saved me many thousands
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just get the rubi 6k is not a lot for what you get.

Quick Reply: $6K more for the Rubicon???