Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

0W-20 vs. 5W-20 Motor Oil

Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0W-20 vs. 5W-20 Motor Oil

I'm getting close to my next oil change, and I've been trying to figure out which oil is best to use. I've been looking at the Mobile-1 0W-20 oil, which claims to increase fuel efficiency while providing more than adequate engine protection. I've also been looking at Royal Purple's 5W-20 oil because many people have told me that RP oil is great.

So which should I use in my next oil change? The Jeep has 19k miles on it, and I live in southern Ohio, which gets pretty warm in the summer (70-90 degrees) and somewhat cold in the winter (0-30 degrees.) If it really helps, I'd like to use the Mobile-1 0W-20, but if there isn't much of a difference between that and RP 5W-20, maybe I should go with the RP.

What do you think? Has anybody used the 0W-20? Has it helped fuel economy at all? What about RP? Is there a chance that it would help increase gas mileage? I'm currently using a 5W-20 blend, so maybe switching to synthetic will help no matter which oil I use...
Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we are heading into summer time, I don't see using a 0w oil as an improvement over a 5w.
Maybe in the winter time but we really don't see the low temps our friends WAY up north see. You live in prime 5w-20 territory. Not too hot not too cold.

The difference is going to be in the additive package not the actual oil so I wouldn't bother.

I think you would see a bigger difference in mileage by keeping your tires properly inflate and taking it easy on the skinny pedal.

Just my two-cents!!

Last edited by Jiblet; 04-10-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 0W-20 vs. 5W-20 Motor Oil