Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

'12 Cylinder Head replaced

Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 Cylinder Head replaced

Got the dreaded (inevitable) CEL with #2 cylinder misfire on Friday late night. Took it to the dealer first thing Saturday. Put it on the tool, which said misfires were at 31. I dunno how often that is though? He said it is ok to drive, it's not good when it gets up above 70 or 80. Also at that point it should be flashing at me, and I shouldn't drive it.

That said, he will look into this all on Monday, and order a cylinder head. He said they've seen this with a lot of rentals they work on, but not too many customers. Called me today (Monday) said he put the order in this morning, no idea when they'll get it, but keep driving it, you should be fine. I cancelled a camping trip Saturday after I took it to the dealer, assuming towing a popup was not a great idea, even if the service adviser told me I could drive it.

Now question for someone smarter then me. I'm a little past when I wanted to do an oil change, but when they replace the head, they're going to drain and refill the oil anyway, no? and, should I keep driving it? He says I don't have a provision for a rental in my warranty, so they'll only give me one for the couple days the Jeep is actually in for the service.

Oh for those keeping score, its a 2012 Sport Unlimited, 18,800 miles. Built in Aug. '11.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang that sucks!! Good luck... hope you get it squared away the first time!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Have you read through this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ngines-227770/

and off topic - I notice you're a lighting guy from Cleveland - is NELA Park still in existence? Spent a week there for some training many moons ago.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr31aj
Have you read through this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ngines-227770/

and off topic - I notice you're a lighting guy from Cleveland - is NELA Park still in existence? Spent a week there for some training many moons ago.
I have seen this thread. Read through much of it. I guess I'm mostly concerned if I can keep driving it the 50 miles or so to work and back every day. And is it true they will drain the oil, so me doing an oil change right now is useless?

NELA park is still around I believe. I work in entertainment lighting, not manufacturing so I'm not any more familiar with them. We used to do their temporary Christmas light display every year, but they stopped that a few years ago.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

can't really help you with the question about the oil change, sorry. IMHO, I don't believe they need to drain the oil to R/R the head - I would, but I don't believe they need to.

No more Christmas display at NELA Park - what is this world coming to?

Quick Reply: '12 Cylinder Head replaced