Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

14 JK coolant issue?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 JK coolant issue?

Was checking coolant levels the other day, have read about nightmares of mixing wrong coolant so I ordered some from MOPAR, I looked in my coolant tank and I see a reddish orangish non translucent liquid. No funk or slime or debris just not a usual green clearish or purple as it’s supose to be coolant solution. I’ll attach pics below anyone else see this in there’s. It’s a 2014 so takes OAT formula, bought the JK about 6 months ago from a Chevy dealership so I assume it’s likley they could have put in some dex-cool or HOAT. Will say the liquid is not thick though or anything just a dark and non see threw color when looking down in the tank.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Have heard the purple stuff changes color and so could what ever other OAT under heat. Vehicle has 50k miles and I assume no coolant change yet. Also heard stop leak tablets a lot of manufacturers put in cause discoloration. Any ideas, may just flush and add mopar OAT from dealership.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Don't freak out just yet. Been through this one before. The OAT is really orange with a purple additive in it. Even out of the bottle, it looks different colors in different light/angles. I know what is in mine is purple. You open up the rad cap and you'd swear it's orange. Honestly, I'd feel confident yours is fine and nobody jacked with it in the short period of time before you bought it, but I know the fears. If you want confirmation, open your rad cap when it's cool, draw some out with a turkey baster or coolant testor or whatnot, put fluid in clear container and look at it.

** my fears were worse with '13.....cuz that seems to have been the change, and to top it off, seems like I ran across things saying some of the original OAT from the factory was indeed orange. You can go crazy with the color stuff. Want another great way to confirm....wait till that rad starts leaking at the fins (like all ours do), and then see what color the dried crusties left are....

Last edited by resharp001; 07-18-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Don't freak out just yet. Been through this one before. The OAT is really orange with a purple additive in it. Even out of the bottle, it looks different colors in different light/angles. I know what is in mine is purple. You open up the rad cap and you'd swear it's orange. Honestly, I'd feel confident yours is fine and nobody jacked with it in the short period of time before you bought it, but I know the fears. If you want confirmation, open your rad cap when it's cool, draw some out with a turkey baster or coolant testor or whatnot, put fluid in clear container and look at it.

** my fears were worse with '13.....cuz that seems to have been the change, and to top it off, seems like I ran across things saying some of the original OAT from the factory was indeed orange. You can go crazy with the color stuff. Want another great way to confirm....wait till that rad starts leaking at the fins (like all ours do), and then see what color the dried crusties left are....
Thanks for the insight, everything is running perfectly fine so I’m prob just being the OCD jk owner who wants everything perfect. I’ll prob let it cool and confirm inside radiator. Add some distilled water to top it off since I’m in Texas and I know it’s not gonna freeze anytime soon. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 14 JK coolant issue?