Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2-door topless security in SoCal?

Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-door topless security in SoCal?

Hey guys, I live in Southern California and now that its getting warm I took the top off and am loving it! My only concern is security, I live in an apartment complex, I know a lot of depends on where you live, and the crime in that area, I live in a not crime infested ghetto but not a crime free area in the city, but just wondering if anyone else that lives in the city wonders if their radio or other things might be missing in the morning?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I go all summer with no roof or doors. I park everywhere and I have a very simple philosophy. I leave the console and glove box unlocked and I don't leave anything in the Jeep that I'm not willing to lose. If you're leaving it overnight, I recommend a cover to keep out weather, animals, and prying eyes. Obviously it's easy enough to get into but I feel like closing it up helps deter the curious.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah... icrashbikes is right. In this case, it's better to leave everything unlocked. I DO have a tuffy strong boxy under my driver seat. I keep my insurance info and that kind of stuff locked in it.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Agree with both above. I am topless most of the year. Mine isn't a DD, but I don't fret about where I leave it anytime I'm going anywhere. IMO, the true joy of jeep ownership is top off and/or doors off. Unfortunately, lack of security is the drawback. Leave nothing in it you would miss if stolen. I have a Tuffy underseat box like jedg for important things (Staun tire deflators, wheel lock key, winch control, tuner, sunglasses if need to be stored, etc). I couldn't care less about audio quality, and a big benefit is not worrying about someone stealing a head unit or speakers. I'd worry more about protecting from the elements like surprise shower or whatnot than theft. Jeep "lifestyle" means a lot of things everyone. To me, this is the biggest thing in regards to "lifestyle", much more than how you use it. You just have to be a little carefree to really enjoy and embrace the joy of owning a jeep.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

resharp001 is spot-on... mine's doorless/topless 90% of the time... my biggest worry is protecting from the elements...
Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
resharp001 is spot-on... mine's doorless/topless 90% of the time... my biggest worry is protecting from the elements...

i can see your points. I guess if it were a weekend badger I wouldn’t care so much buts it’s a daily driver. Might get a cargo net cover for the rear just to keep the pests out though.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, someone just posted something that may be what you're looking for... I'll see if I can dig up the link.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Honestly, if paying for a net, I'd rather pay for a full cab cover you could throw on or take off in 60 seconds. at least you'd get mutli-function out of that as it could protect from a short rain shower. You might just look to see if there's anything on craigslist around you. Lots of times I see them listed for $50 or so.

Maybe though, you'd be a prime candidate for a frameless soft top you could add or remove quickly. I mean, you'd still have the same risk of theft with anything less than a hard top, but for your situation, that might be the most functional thing even though a more expensive option.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

This might be something...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...sterda-349761/
Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

This might be something to consider.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...sterda-349761/

Quick Reply: 2-door topless security in SoCal?