Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 weeks old - RUST?!?!?!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2 weeks old - RUST?!?!?!

Hand washed my JK for the first time today and I noticed a rust spot on the passenger side door hinge. It's not super huge, but it's RUST! I've had my JK for 15 days .... WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!:confused:
Old 04-21-2007, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

if there is exposed metal it will rust... have u been off road and maybe got a scratch? or it was never painted before or scratched
Old 04-22-2007, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BigJerm
if there is exposed metal it will rust... have u been off road and maybe got a scratch? or it was never painted before or scratched
I haven't been off-road at all. The rust is on one of the hinges on the passenger side front door. Seems as though it got chipped, but I have no idea how as it is at an angle that doesn't seem as though it'd be "chippable". It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's only 2 weeks old and it's still in the "holy5h*t, look at my new JK" stage.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

I wish DC would offer their Jeeps in a nice brown color so all the rust spots would just blend in. Get use to the rust! My Unlimited is just 7 months old and the lower hinges are all busted and rusted. The paint on the rocker panels have big spots that should start rusting soon. All this rust and i haven't gone off road with it yet! Just dirt roads off and on. The Jeep just loves to send rocks flying all over (and i mean "how the hell"). I actually ran into a rock that my JK sent flying in between the front bumper and the flare. The rock landed on the hood, kept sliding to the windsheild and got stuck in the wiper well. Best thing to do is to turn the radio full blast to drown the sound of all those rocks preping your Jeep for the next paint job! If you don't like rust...DON'T LOOK UNDER YOUR JEEP!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

7 months old and through some driving and winter ... ok. But 2 weeks of being babied and rust already ... heck no!

Rust on my vehicle is not something I'm going to get used to ... I'm gonna get it taken care of.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Had terrific weather here so I decided it was time to swap to the soft top today. Removed the hard top ans on the drivers side rear corner is a rust hole ! Not a spot of rust but a hole all the way through the rail edge!!! The hard top covered it and it appears that there was a bubble of paint when the top was installed at the factory and it trapped moisture and ate through....... Took a ride to my dealers service managers house ( he and my daughter are neighbors) and he about dropped over when he saw it. Arghhhhhhhh
Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

I've had mine for 2 weeks, and the back door hinges are chipped up pretty bad. Rocks off of the front tires tear them up. The Rubicon rock rails don't stick out far enough to offer any protection from this.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Follow up

I emailed my salesman on Saturday reporting the rust and he called first thing this morning to tell me to bring it in at my convenience. He said they've had issues with the hinges on other Wranglers and that they'd take care of it right away. Something about the the metal that the hinges are made out of is different from the body and that this metal doesn't accept the paint as easily and that it doesn't dry as quickly ... I don't know, I'm just super happy that they're so easy to deal with.

Doubt that it was a rock flying up from the tires as it's on the opposite side of the hinge and it's close to the door, as opposed to being on the outside edge.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

They should definetly fix it!! I would not put up with that on any other car why should a Jeep be different?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got really used to rust with my Land Rover. The "British Iron" rusted real quick.

I'm sure that my JK won't go as quickly, but I would sure mention it to my dealer if I noticed rust on my NEW Jeep.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old - RUST?!?!?!