Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Four Door

Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two YJs that had only one problem with the '93 clutch that was fixed under warranty and no problems after that. The current '03 TJ I've had has never been in for service and has only had a failed battery. Not a Jeep related failure in my mind. I believe they are reliable and had zero real issues in the 14 years I've owned a Wrangler.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't draw absolute conclusions from consumer reports reliability ratings. Their weighted ratings are not exactly a simple random sample of vehicle ownership reliabiltiy. It's also a point in time analysis. A vehicle that rates poorly now could increase. As I am a longtime subscriber to CR, I have seen many vehicles up their ratings over time.

I've owned a couple of trucks, 95 Nissan x-cab v6 truck, that was once rated below average and on their avoid used car buying list. This worried me when I had a clunk coming from the rear axle when backing up, but found out the dealership did not add the Limited Slip additive. By the time I sold the truck it was rated above average, and on their used car recommended list. The Same thing happened with my next truck, a 97 Toyota T-100. There was an issue with the head gaskets that mainly affected 95-96 models, and same year tacoma's, but it caused my 97 to be rated well below average at one-time, only to jump to well above-average one year later in the next april issue.

All I'm saying with this long diatribe is that you are doing the right thing and coming here, and other forums to find out from owners of the vehicle your interested in. Not only relying on the media, or someone trying to sell something.

P.S. I've had a 2007 2 door X that I traded for an 2008 X-Unlimited. Both have had minor issues, but no more than I had with a new Toyota Tacoma in 2002. I still like my truck, but I love my Jeep...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Make it your's

If you want to make the vehicle all you, you can do it with the JK. Not too many options to pick when you order it but so many choices after its yours. Don't forget the LIFETIME WARRANTY. If you want a vehicle everyone else is driving go to GM at get it with 100K warranty. Remember, you can't pull the top off of a Tahoe, H2 or H3. You can't pull the top off of a Toyota CJ or a Ford Explorer. You can still find a low mile 2000 - 2002 H1 Hummer on E-Bay for
$40K to $50K.

I shopped 25 dealers on the west coast in May and June and wasn't willing to pay more than MSRP. for an '07. Afterall it would have been a 1 year old used car by now. I ordered my '08 Rubicon in Reno Nevada. It was an internet purchase and they honored their Costco Discount Program.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

That Consumer Reports is no good...I looked at it too! If you are worried buy an extended warranty. The price of a JK with a 7 year warranty will probably be the same as any other SUV.

"Consumer Reports ranked predicted reliability of 2008 models based on survey results from previous years. Here are the magazine's two best and worst picks for predicted reliability in each segment:"

So they wouldnt have even had a full year to test it or to get feedback. It also states predicted reliability. They are making predictions from what? This was the 1st year.

I researched all kinds of vehicles and I work in the Auto industry. There is no vehicle that even compares to the JK. Yes, you dont have the fancy plastic covered doors and you cant opt for leather but where can you buy a Convertible SUV, where can you drive that other 4x4's cant, will you get the Jeep Wave? etc etc....the list can go on.

Dont forget with most other SUV's out there they don't have 4x4, most of them now are AWD. BIG DIFFERENCE! The Ford Escape you cant even turn on the AWD it turns on when the wheels start slipping.

I have always wanted a Jeep ever since I was a kid and I just ordered my 1st Jeep.....still waiting.....I can't really say PATIENTLY waiting....since it is driving me freakin nuts!

I am sure when I find out my delivery date I wont be able to sleep...I will be like a kid on Christmas eve!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

Once i get my new JK it will be my third Jeep. In the past my Jeeps have not been as reliable as the Toyota's I have owned, and every car has it's problems, and that is what a warranty is for. I have yet to see any other vehicle as versatile as the new Wrangler Unlimited's, or with as many customization options available. It is not a vehicle you get just to leave the top on all year round, and drive down the highway, it is a special purpose built vehicle and needs to be looked at that way.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Consumer Reports has no business evaluating any off road vehicle. They should stick to what they know. Electric razors.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is my 2nd "Wrangler" and 4th Jeep brand ('88 Cherokee and '05 Liberty). I've never had any major problem with any of them. My JK has over 13,000 miles and no problem whatsoever. '05 Liberty (my wife drives mainly) has over 61,000 miles and never had any problem. Both '03 Wrangler and '88 Cherokee (bought it used) had over 150,000 miles and never had major problem. Never had break down with any of the Jeep. Other than regular check-up and replacing wear-and-tear parts, I've never paid any extra to fix them.

I'm Japanese (born and raised in Tokyo - I've been in U.S. for over 16 years, almost half of my life though), but love Jeep more than any of the Japanese cars. I'm sure that Japanese cars are more refined (quieter, more fuel fuel efficient, better paint job etc.) but Jeep (I mean JK, TJ, CJ etc.) is definitely more fun to drive on or off road!

Last edited by moun10eer; 10-18-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gifford888
Who's the old guy playing the old tune "Hear no evil, See no evil"... do we have a member here from Red China???

Isn't this board about helping each other / sharing knowledge?? With this exception, I've read so much great info from great members here! Like I said in my original post, don't kill the messenger -- I want in -- I want to buy a Wrangler -- but I do not want to make an uninformed decision either -- it's ok to look at all the data for the love of Pete!
I know how you feel. I registered here in March but I just bought mine 2 weeks ago. I spent months researching and reading. At any point during those 7 months I was going to get a JK, a 2-door JK, an '08 Liberty, a Nissan Xterra, a Ford Escape - but what I realized is that the 4 door JK is the vehicle I wanted all along.

Sure I got nervous reading about the stall bug, missing paint, leaky hard tops, leaky soft tops, cheap interior plastic, easily dented doors, rusting door hinges, floppy hoods, and probably a hundred other complaints I'm forgetting. Bottom line is that I knew I wasn't going to have ALL of those problems, and so far haven't had any (knock on wood). I also purchased the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty to help ease my mind.

Now that I have it, it's a great vehicle. I love it, and don't know why I held out so long.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Ive owned 2 Jeeps in the past... neither of them had any significant problems..

Then I bought an Acura that consumer had ranked extremely high as for reliability.. and guess what, I had problems with it.. It leaked like crazy, had to change the heated seat elements about 3 times, the transmission didnt shift correctly, kept warping rotors (but the pads lasted me 70K miles), passenger window motor crapped out.. warranty was over and so was my relationshit with my 2005 Acura TSX..

Back to the Jeep I go. You definetly cannot believe everything you read.

If the Jeep does have problems at least its relatively easy to fix and they dont try to charge $125/hr at the dealer.

EDIT: Go to tsxclub.com and go to problems and fixes..... every car out there has a lot of problems.. obviously when your at a forum you can read them all.. half the posters on here only post problems.

And that Toyota FJ.. The sheet metal is ripping apart on it from mild to moderate wheeling actually even grocery getting FJ's r having the problem

Every car has problems... get what you like.

Last edited by racer83l; 10-18-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
consumer reports is not accurate information. If you read their circles with any knowledge of a vehicle line they make no sense what so ever. I would go so far as to question whether they get paid to place one vehicle above another.

That being said. The Jeep Wrangler is completely undependable and inhabitable for a road vehicle. It's more like a tractor with a tent on top. Don't buy one to haul the kids or you will be severely disappointed.

In fact don't buy one unless you enjoy working on your vehicle. Because you will be all the time.

I LOVE my Wrangler. It's my 4th.
I agree with the first part of your post, however I believe the rest is a bunch of crap.
The JK Unlimited is a very dependable vehicle, and very on-road worthy.
We traded the wifes 99XJ in for a 2007 "X" model back in Dec, and she's been loving it ever since.
Last winter, it handled the snow better than her XJ, and feels more stable on the road at highway speeds.
Matter of fact it appears to have more room than her XJ.
As far as working on it all the time, the only work I've done to it was installing the AEV front bumper and a few other minor mods.

Quick Reply: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Four Door