Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2011 Model Year Changes

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Model Year Changes

It's that time of year again when the rumors begin to gel and we find out what is really going to happen in the next model year. After reading Mr Manley's recent comments about Wrangler remaining unique (Attached below). And reading the various forums it looks like the 2011 Wrangler will get a new Garmin based NAV replacing the MyGig, more interior storage, possibly an iPod Dock. I can't yet find any other details of rumored dramatic interior changes.

There are hints and rumors that the exterior will be refined a bit making it more aerodynamic.

It looks like the new Pentastar direct injection engine will come to Wrangler but it is unclear exactly when. Some sights hint that when Pentastar production levels are good enough the engine will make it into Wrangler later in 2011. Other sites say it will be 2012 or 2013 before the new Pentastar engine makes it into Wrangler. The rumors also talk about a new 5 speed auto tranny.

Well lets have at it . . . let the rumors and speculation fly!

Recent comments from Manley as reported by leftlanenews: "While future Jeep models may adopt some Fiat DNA in the name of fuel economy, the Wrangler will remain on its more durable body-on-frame architecture. Fiat says there are no plans to produce other models on the Wrangler platform, even within the Jeep family.

Although no new models are planned for the Wrangler’s platform, the Wrangler lineup could expand to include a few more models. Jeep boss Mike Manley admits that a Wrangler-based pickup truck is under consideration, as is a diesel powerplant for the U.S. market. However, Manley says neither variation is “imminent.”

Some changes are in the cards for the Wrangler, though, including a major upgrade this summer, followed by another revamp next year. The changes are expected to include an improved interior and the addition of Chrysler’s new Pentastar 3.6L high-feature V6.

The Wrangler is Jeep’s best-selling model, tallying 82,000 units last year."

Last edited by porters; 04-26-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

I would consider the pickup if it was smaller than a regular cab dakota and had a hemi. Cant wait to see if the interior is worth trading for.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

5 spd auto tranny would be nice. i wish they did that earlier., like in mine.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will get back into a jk the day one is released in the US with a diesel engine in it.

dont understand why it is taking so long for them to get them stateside... frustrating!!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smbundy13
I will get back into a jk the day one is released in the US with a diesel engine in it.

dont understand why it is taking so long for them to get them stateside... frustrating!!
I totally agree. I've asked the same question and they always blame California's emissions standards that no Diesel engine can possibly meet.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowing my luck, jeep will come out with a diesel pick up and put a friggin slush box in it.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

After reading more this afternoon. The consensus seems to be that the 2011s get the new interior and the 2012 get the new engine.

One fella mentioned the new interior would have power mirrors. So it sounds to me like they are appealing to the soccer moms instead of the folks on the Forum.

I'm sure happy were getting power mirrors and never mind about the diesel Mr Manley, we didn't really want one anyway.

One Jeep insider said that what they are doing to the interior a travesty.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smbundy13

My best guess here is, the people with the money control everything, including economy and government. Remember, many of our rich are oil rich. If diesel catches on in the US market, they'll sell less crude, making them less money. Oil stock shareholders----> Special Interest Groups------> Lawmakers------> Policy preventing diesels -----> No diesels. Remember what happened with ethanol? Milk got expensive because there "wasn't enough corn". Yeah, right.

Sorry, just one of my pet peeves. Every country I visit (including Canada) has a much better diesel car market than we do. It has less to do with clean air and more to do with money and elections.

Ok. I'm off my soapbox.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wonder why they are going away from the mygig? Be interesting to see what the unit will be.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porters
After reading more this afternoon. The consensus seems to be that the 2011s get the new interior and the 2012 get the new engine.

One fella mentioned the new interior would have power mirrors. So it sounds to me like they are appealing to the soccer moms instead of the folks on the Forum.

I'm sure happy were getting power mirrors and never mind about the diesel Mr Manley, we didn't really want one anyway.

One Jeep insider said that what they are doing to the interior a travesty.
Details on the Jeep insider if you have them please.
I like our interior, but I think they could do a lot more, like better materials more with the rear seats, like reclining, middle colapsable headrest, etc, all as an option of course to keep the cost down for people that don't want them.

Quick Reply: 2011 Model Year Changes