Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 European Wrangler gets "start /stop" system

Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 European Wrangler gets "start /stop" system

this is from the newest Automotive news magazine:

In Europe, the Jeep Wrangler offers a fuel-saving stop-start system for the first time on a Jeep vehicle. The system, coupled with VM Motori's 200-hp, 2.8-liter four-cylinder diesel engine and manual transmission, cuts fuel consumption 13 percent.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1LCuNK6hT
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good read. I wish they had more details on what a "start/stop" feature does. It may just shut the motor off when you stop at a light.

With Chryslers reliability, I may be a stop/stop feature at some point...
Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet that will be a welcome addition when they finally go on sale here....oh wait. THANK YOU CHRYSLER! AGAIN!!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

this system works really well on hybrid cars. I'm not sure how great it will be on vehicles that have no electric motor CVT transmissions however. It isn't an instant on, but close.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

On other vehicles available in Europe with this feature, the alternator is beefed up to provide better charging, and the starter is also heavily modified. There are certain restrictions to prevent vehicle stop/start in certain conditions (when cold, if the A/C is on, etc. depending on the model).
The idea is just to save some liter of fuel so it can show up as a "great" improvement in emissions. In reality the system does not provide much of an improvement, and reports I read of replacement/failures in other brands are simply catastrophic and hugely expensive to repair. Waste of engineering skills, imho.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baconrocket
this system works really well on hybrid cars. I'm not sure how great it will be on vehicles that have no electric motor CVT transmissions however. It isn't an instant on, but close.

I agree. we just picked up a Honda Insight Hybrid last Friday and the start/stop feature it FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!! It brings a smile to your face when everyone around you at the stop light or drive through is burning up all their money and your are not.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Good read. I wish they had more details on what a "start/stop" feature does. It may just shut the motor off when you stop at a light.

With Chryslers reliability, I may be a stop/stop feature at some point...
You can switch it off but system dies in about 10.000 k's......go guess. Nice part is that it stays constant on.(back to standard: better for the starter, battery, flywheel,crankshaft, pistonrods, you name it.....)Its a jeep anyways, not a rice cooker or a frankfurter cooker.....

Quick Reply: 2012 European Wrangler gets "start /stop" system