Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 JK Unlimited right for me (big dogs + pop up)?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JK Unlimited right for me (big dogs + pop up)?

Hey there,

I am looking for opinions from those with either big dogs, tow with their JK, or both.

I haven't yet driven the new '12 Unlimited, but it is high on my list for my next vehicle. Up to this point, I have been considering mid-sized trucks like the Tacoma. I really miss my older TJ and would love to get back into a Jeep. I live in Colorado and have three dogs. Two of them are quite big - Irish Wolfhound and German Shepherd. It seems like the 4-door will offer plenty of room for them with either the seats down, or out. The only other thing I might like to keep in the Jeep is an ice chest for quick-access snacks and drinks during road trips. I will be pulling a Starcraft 10RT pop-up camper that has a dry weight of about 1800 pounds. Add 300 pounds for water and an additional 200 for gear, I'm guessing.

Do you think the JK will handle that load (dogs, trailer, two adults) happily? We are planning a trip up to Alaska next year where we will be spending a few weeks in the Jeep and I would love to hear your honest thoughts on the capabilities and roominess of the newer Unlimited.

Thanks a bunch,
Adam
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I test drove an arctic edition with the 6 speed manual and 3:73 gears with my 6x10 cargo trailer behind it. It did pretty ok considering it had all of 12 miles on it and at the time I hadent pulled any extra weight out of the trailer so I know I was at or slightly above what the Jeep is rated at. It would get better as the motor gets broken in im sure, hell it pulled the trailer around better than my V8 95 grand cherokee. I had a lot of wind resistance at 70 MPH on the highway, nothing the jeep couldn't overcome but that is not an issue you would have with a pop up camper. Go for it! I ordered a 6 speed Rubi with 4:10 gears, cant wait for that to get here.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

2012 JKU will handle a pop-up fine. I'd go with 4.10s though. JMO

If you decide on a truck, don't even think about mid-size. Just another opinion of mine. Always buy full size trucks, they get the same mileage and have more room and power. Unless you skimp and get a V6 in a full-size (or a mid-size for that matter - get a real V8 if going with a gas burner). A little engine in a vehicle you're going to tow with 'can' do it but it'll be balls to the wall all the time and a full size with a V8 will run stronger with better economy since it won't be working so hard all the time.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK Unlimited right for me (big dogs + pop up)?