Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Manual transmission, my thoughts and why I bought.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Manual transmission, my thoughts and why I bought.

Well, I bought a 2012 JK Rubicon a month ago. Had it custom ordered, with manual transmission. Seems to be many post about whether one should get the 5 speed Auto or the 6 Speed Manual. Both are great set ups. But, here are my thoughts. All the vehicles I have personally owned before have been Autos. Had a 2008 Rubicon in Auto also. But, when I have been working overseas, always ended up with a Manual (Mitsubishi pajeros, toyota hilux, old GI Jeeps, ford rangers). This previous last year I was working in Cambodia and driving constantly in a manual Ford Ranger, on and off road. When got back to the USA, kind of missed the manual. So decided to order a new 2012 Manual Jeep.

Why?

Well, I enjoy the constant interaction with the vehicle. Clutch, shift, clutch shifts. Seems I pay much more attention to the road and driving and constantly checking speed and RPMs.

Plus, the manual was $1100 cheaper.

Also, I think a manual is safer, at least for me. As I stated above, being constantly involved and more alert. Also, I no longer try to talk or use the phone. Personally, in these days of I Phone, I think all teenagers should be driving a manual (If I had a teenager, that is what they would be driving).

Gas milage, probably getting better, mainly cause at stop signs and lights, I don't accelerate as fast as i use to with an Auto. I take my time going through the gears smoothly.

Now, some have stated it is not the smoothest shifting. That I agree. It definitely feels like a Jeep and you know you are in a Jeep, not a sports car! Reminds me of the old Army Jeeps I had, and old Cargo and Army trucks have driven. Stick throw between gears is long, not short as some other SUV or cars like Honda, Audi, or VW I have driven where stick moves just an inch or two and very smooth. One really has to baby the Stick on the Jeep to get it just right, and make sure it is locked into gear. And the clutch pedal seems have to push a little longer in and out to engage. 2nd to 3rd gear take a little getting use to, to really smooth it out, but now no issues. 3 to 4 to 5 pretty smooth. 5 to 6, have to know how to hit it just right, but no issues.

I have to admit, the first couple of days I was questioning if I should have gotten an Auto. As was stalling, and clanking all around with the shifter. With the 4.10 gear ratio, starting from 1st was difficult at time. I ended up many times just not even using 1st gear and starting from 2nd all the time. Much easier. The Hill Assist has been great as well. I know there were some problems with the manuals that were first produced back in July, with some corrections needed, but not too worried about that as mine was made in May.

Now after a month, and around 1000 miles, I can shift pretty smooth. I just this week put on 315s, with an AEV 2.5 lift kit, and notice now the RPM are down a bit and seems to shift even easier, and using the 1st gear is easier to get in and out of.

Two things I did as well, that make it a little easier, I replaced the gear shift know with a Sickspeed round shift knob. Much better control and feel (Plus looks better IMO). And I replaced the pedals with AMI Aluminum Billet pedals which are a little larger and offer a little better traction (Plus look better than stock also IMO).

So far pretty happy with the Manual. It is a lot of fun to drive and gives me real control.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see a picture of that Sickspeed shifter in your jeep! I'm really considering those for mine as well!! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree. The 6 speed is great
Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive never owned any thing that wasent a manual so the 6 speed in my jk was a no brainer. : P
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I discovered the long clutch travel really shined once I went offroad. It's MUCH more forgiving and makes it easier to get going when you stall in an awkward spot. Also, I love 4lo with stick. It just refuses to stall. I love my manual trans.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes manual is so much better. I've been driving manual since 1997 and I would not have it any other way. I have to agree you pay more attention to the road and you have more control of the vehicle. I really like the hill assist as well no more roll backs on assholes that are 6" off your back bumper.

It was funny when I was in Afganistan we had a leased Toyota heliux I had to actually had to teach a 34 year old man " my gunnery sergeant" how to drive shift it was funny as shit that a grown man could not drive a manual.

Manuals keep you involved in driving making you a better drver in my opinion.

Quick Reply: 2012 Manual transmission, my thoughts and why I bought.