Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Pentastar V6 305hp

Old 11-11-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoabBrink801
In 5 years when my 2010 rubi is paid off it's going under the knife 6.1 hemi with supercharger and a 6 speed And Dana 60 s I want to have at least 625 rear wheel hp
Really?? I don't feel confident of how the JK handles at high speeds (over 60mph) and that's easy to achieve with my 3.8l six speed manual.

I have to be careful with my 400hp GTO and I've had my share of "OH SHIT!" moments.

Handling a 625hp JK would be almost impossible if not supported by an insane amount of upgraded suspension and braking components.

I think that the public expectations for high horsepower is one of the reasons for the future "crossoverization" of the Wrangler. The lawyers won't let Chrysler/Fiat create a high horsepower JK that can't handle on the streets, the lawsuits will take the company to the grave when they start going "rubber side up".

I wonder if people really understand what HP is or are they just bench racing wanting more hp just for bragging rights?

On a side note, we all know the Pentastar is comming, what I want to know is what manual transmission will it mate to.

I refuse to drive automatics.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exciting yet disturbing for our current jk's. I fear that the value as well as the JK market will change drastically. Tons of 07-10 jk's are gonna be on the market. I'm not one to jump on things at first sight but damn... more power in an already suffering motor group? I almost don't want to continue modding my 07!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

As I stated earlier, I'm happy with the 3.8, it's puts out enough power to get the job done offroad. I personally wouldn't want tons of H.P. because that's when you start breaking parts. I feel if you have to have that much H.P. for normal offroading then you're probably not doing something right. I have the 6 speed so the street performance is fine with me. I feel that the Auto is the Achilles heal in that department.
On the other side of that, if you've spent a great deal of money on stronger parts that can take the abuse and you're doing some really extreme offroading, then I can see a little more H.P. as long as you have the torque numbers to make use of it at a low end.
To each their own, but I don't see Chrysler putting a Hemi in a vehicle that would be too uncontrollable at high speeds on the highway, by that I mean how SOME people would be driving it and at the speeds THEY would be driving it. Bump steer at a very high rate of speed would not be good.
They (Chrysler) also wouldn't want to hassle with the warranty claims on broken parts. Chrysler couldn't build a Jeep that most people would want to pay for by putting a hemi and parts to handle the abuse of offroading with that much power in it. It would be exspensive for them to build it and even more so for you to buy it.
I think the pentastar v6 should have plenty of power for everyone when they come out in the Wrangler. Well like I said, I like my 3.8, I guess I'm just easy to please.

Happy Veterans day everyone! To all of the Veterans out there on the JK Forum, Thank you very much and I hope your day is wonderful.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George Diaz
What the little 3.8 need is a 5 speed or 6 speed auto trans.
Very True Statement!!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GON WHLN
I fear that the value as well as the JK market will change drastically. Tons of 07-10 jk's are gonna be on the market. I'm not one to jump on things at first sight but damn... more power in an already suffering motor group? I almost don't want to continue modding my 07!
I don't think it's going to be as drastic as you think. The JK with the Pentastar won't be a rocket, maybe a fraction of a second faster to 60 mph.

We are enthusiasts and can spot the difference between an 09' and a 10', know what colors were produced in what years, etc., but most buyers, won't know the difference.

I bet that many owners have feared for the value of their Wranglers at every body change (which in 2012, it still going to be a JK) but TJ values are still holding up.

Enjoy your JK and don't fear for engine envy, JK drag races are scarce.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goaterguy
I don't think it's going to be as drastic as you think. The JK with the Pentastar won't be a rocket, maybe a fraction of a second faster to 60 mph.

We are enthusiasts and can spot the difference between an 09' and a 10', know what colors were produced in what years, etc., but most buyers, won't know the difference.

I bet that many owners have feared for the value of their Wranglers at every body change (which in 2012, it still going to be a JK) but TJ values are still holding up.

Enjoy your JK and don't fear for engine envy, JK drag races are scarce.
I think you're absolutely right. Look at any Jeep Wrangler or CJ with any engine and tranny combo, you can get top dollar for any of them. That's a lot more than you can say for most vehicles.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6SI80F_wi0&feature=player_embedded#!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
technology my friends... technology...

I agree with the many posts on this forum about the want / need for a diesel.. as the HP / TQ curves prove that a diesel in many off-road situations is a big advantage...

but I FAIL to see the need for a Big honkin V8 when a VVT pentastar will be able to give you the power you need and also the fuel mileage you need...

take a note that oil is at $88 a barrel this morning.. once the USA government infuses another $600 billion bux into the economy that number will go up and up and up....

now maybe most of the JK owners that off-road seriously and have put 10-20k of mods into their jeeps dont care about gas mileage...

HOWEVER

the average joe in the mainstream public DOES!! care about it.. being able to put a sticker on the side window that shows the JK breaking that 20 MPG barrier for highway mileage is HUGE in the perception of the vehicle...

** its all in the valves **
ever noticed how there are plenty of people out there in the hotrod world getting 500+ horsepower out of a simple 350 cubic inches??

its in the CAM tune mostly.. and of course the heads as well..

a VVT is a great thing for the JK community.. esp once our friends at superchips, hypertech, diablo, etc get a hold of it...

that VVT CAN BE TUNED TO PROVIDE LOTS OF LOW END TORQUE! which is what the off-road crowd wants? at least i thought?

sure the STOCK tune is such that its all high end and about useless for anything but hammering your way onto a freeway... but advance the intake valve timing and wow you get your torque at a much lower RPM level...

chrysler will tune the engine to fit the best on-road, MPG, and emission manners.. but doesnt mean it cant be tuned to be more beneficial to the off-road community..

or tuned to whatever you like...

no it may not make the number of a big honkin 6.1 litre HEMI.. but it also isnt going to cost you $20+ grand to get a decent power-plant upgrade into your brand new JK... and with the 2011 GC already out, im sure the programmer guys are already at it writing tunes for these engines...

the other good thing is that likely the troubled 42-RLE may finally meet its maker...

-Christopher
who knows - maybe Chrysler will knock our socks off with a programmable torque setting. Push one button for "off road" (low end grunt) and another for highway HP/performance. Would be easy with VVT.....
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The New Diesels are not the Old Diesels

Thanks to JeepaRoo for an insightfull post;Did anyone notice the E-85 mention,the shape of things to come for the PentaStar? Diesels are a false "economy" because low-sulfur fuel is more expensive than gas,its emissions being "clean" are due to all sorts of tacked on cats & particulate grabbers-Wait 'till you have to replace(not repair) them.Besides,isn't low end torque the Holy Grail of off-road? At a low RPM? A long-stroke,big bore (4.0 in-line) will generate good torque at low rpm,but not achieve good fuel efficiency -the high revving V- engines do,shorter stroke,better numbers at higher Rpms. Blame Federal Emmissions.Yes,if you really need Power to Pull(as in Haul) a Diesel is best.For all-around use,the Best of Both Worlds,V-gas engines are it.Until Electric " total torque" hits the off-road,grin & bear it.. Just when you thought I'se done,the higher the compression,the better ethanol works-hence the variable timing of the Pentastar..(.See Gale Banks)
Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi from Sweden

Sorry for my bad english

Iam thinking to buy the Jeep Wrangler in Sweden and will wait to it comes with a Pentastar and decide then. My concern is still the fuel consumption, it is very expensive here.

For now I have the Suzuki Jimny and it has a 1.3 liter engine and about 4 in axel ratio like the Rubicon. The Jimny is sadly not for sale anymore in Sweden because it lacks ESP, and I want a new car after 10 year with Jimny.

The Jimny cost about half of a Wrangler, much because a smaller engine is much cheaper. Sadly stock Jimny do not have so good ground clearance only 19 cm.

I think that wrangler looks awesome, but I have some conserns about the big engine and if it is so important if I compare it against jimny with a 1.3 liters engine that is very good in terrain with its low gears.

I know that Wrangler weigh about 2 ton compared to Jimny 1 ton so two Jimny engines would be enough, 1.3 liter + 1.3 liter= 2.6 Liter engine for a two ton car.

So I think that a 2.6 - 3.0 Liter new engine like Pentastar and with good transmission and gears would be enough for a wrangler. A smaller engine gives also a lighter car.

The European contries are already now tax the big engines high, and soon it would not be possible to buy cars with big engines in Europe and then Jeep and other will loose income and that will increase the Jeep price in USA.

My other concern is the width of the wrangler, it is little big in garage and in thight spots in the terrain and small forest roads.

The new JK are about 17 cm wider compared to the old Tj.

Here are som Suzuki Jimny with only a 1.3 liter engine and it can tackle the terrain.

Jimny and wrangler

Some Jimny in terrain videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvMkUOPc28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjeb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAkE...eature=related

I still thinks that Wrangler look better that the Jimny. Maybe Jeep also should make a baby wrangler, slightly smaller and less big engine.

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Brännström

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 12-13-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Pentastar V6 305hp