Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Surprises

Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Surprises

Okay, I'm a newbie but I have been reading many threads and appreciate the knowledge that is shared here. Figured I'd make a minor contribution too. Picked up my new 2012 JKU last night. A couple of things:
  • Balancing the hard top on my rack and hoist was interesting but not too much of an issue. Had to run back to the computer to double check the number of screws to remove. Wish I had remembered everything before asking the hoist to lift, because...
  • I forgot to pull out the windshield wiper connector. It will be interesting when I go to re-connect in December. I don't think anything broke as it came apart with force.
  • Spilled a Coke in the back as I was setting up the soft top. Cool it's a Jeep and its dirty!
  • The tailgate appears to have some tension so no gas assist strut is required. My sales rep says that's a 2012 thing.
  • Four grab handles were provided so I can take those off my shopping list. Sales rep wasn't expecting this.
  • Wish someone at the dealer had told me I didn't need to order the mirror relocation brackets. At midnight it was not pleasant to learn that the powered mirrors can't be relocated!
  • Um... forgot to put the straps back on the door. It must have swung open at some point because I noticed a ding walking back to the car after lunch. Day #1 and I got a ding!!! I guess its all good, it is a Jeep!
  • The rag top was not exactly as simple to assemble the first time through although not rocket science either. Just an expectations management thing.
  • It's louder and bumpier than my 12 year old LX470 but I expected that so no surprises there.
  • The rubber mat in the back was better than I expected although the carpeting quality and fit in the front was not impressive. I know rip it out it is going to get dirty anyway.
I't still less than 24 hours so if I learn something else that's worthy of posting I'll circle back. I'm an instant fan. Glad to be a new Jeep fanatic. Tonight I put together the DIY sun screen.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!!! I just picked up my '12 RubiDozer last Friday!!! My first Jeep as well.

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigE
[*]Um... forgot to put the straps back on the door. It must have swung open at some point because I noticed a ding walking back to the car after lunch. Day #1 and I got a ding!!! I guess its all good, it is a Jeep!
Did the same, as soon as I purchased and got back to the house, and was stripping the top and doors. Worse, I repeated on the otherside a month later. Matching cowl mod's.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I'm a newbie but I have been reading many threads and appreciate the knowledge that is shared here. Figured I'd make a minor contribution too. Picked up my new 2012 JKU last night. A couple of things:
  • Wish someone at the dealer had told me I didn't need to order the mirror relocation brackets. At midnight it was not pleasant to learn that the powered mirrors can't be relocated!
  • Um... forgot to put the straps back on the door. It must have swung open at some point because I noticed a ding walking back to the car after lunch. Day #1 and I got a ding!!! I guess its all good, it is a Jeep!
  • The rag top was not exactly as simple to assemble the first time through although not rocket science either. Just an expectations management thing.
  • It's louder and bumpier than my 12 year old LX470 but I expected that so no surprises there.
  • Wish someone at the dealer had told me I didn't need to order the mirror relocation brackets. At midnight it was not pleasant to learn that the powered mirrors can't be relocated! That's OK. The passenger side mirror would have been useless anyway once relocated. You can find non-powered mirrors at some of the online retailers like Quadratec, W Wheel Parts, etc.
  • Um... forgot to put the straps back on the door. It must have swung open at some point because I noticed a ding walking back to the car after lunch. Day #1 and I got a ding!!! I guess its all good, it is a Jeep! Yeah, those are affectionately referred to as "Dummy Dings". Many Jeeps have them. You can buy some armor to cover the cowling with at Quadratec. Just search "cowl armor" . When removing your doors in the future, remember... (1)When removing doors, park with the front end higher than the back end to help keep the door swing in the closed direction. (2)The limiting strap is the last thing you remove before you remove the door. (3)Never take your hands off the door after you've removed the limiting straps.
  • The rag top was not exactly as simple to assemble the first time through although not rocket science either. Just an expectations management thing. Yep - Typical. Glad to see they haven't changed that "feature".
  • It's louder and bumpier than my 12 year old LX470 but I expected that so no surprises there. It's a Jeep thing, now you understand. Seriously though, you own the worlds most capable commercially available off-road vehicle. It's a vehicle like no other. Embrace it's quirks and live the lifestyle and you'll have a long and fruitful relationship.

Congratulations!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. Um... forgot to put the straps back on the door. It must have swung open at some point because I noticed a ding walking back to the car after lunch. Day #1 and I got a ding!!! I guess its all good, it is a Jeep!
I did this when I first got my 2010... Dent Genie fixed both to where I couldn't tell... cost $100 but learned a valuable lesson.
Welcome to the family! Don't forget to wave.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

I got the duo top, obviously. Do most folks totally remove the soft top and stow it away in the winter when they put the hard top on or do they just leave it folded as it came delivered? Never new about the plastic door frames. We'll see how I like it, but removing the doors and putting them back on seems more involved than I expected. It does not seem like a... weekly activity.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the duo top, obviously. Do most folks totally remove the soft top and stow it away in the winter when they put the hard top on or do they just leave it folded as it came delivered? Never new about the plastic door frames. We'll see how I like it, but removing the doors and putting them back on seems more involved than I expected. It does not seem like a... weekly activity.
Take it off and store it. Otherwise you will limit your storage space in the rear and be constantly annoyed with the top when you open your tailgate and rear window to load.

I will add my 2012 surprise. I found a place in the rear cargo area to store my door and hard top screws. Very cool idea.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by phljeeper
Take it off and store it. Otherwise you will limit your storage space in the rear and be constantly annoyed with the top when you open your tailgate and rear window to load.

I will add my 2012 surprise. I found a place in the rear cargo area to store my door and hard top screws. Very cool idea.
The 2011 also has the bolt storage spots in the back.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

i too got the dimples on both sides
cheap fix is rugged ridge cowl armor.
fixed both sides under 50 bucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKvsg32RSCk
Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

The little jeep crawling up the bottom of the passenger side windshield - not sure if this was on 2011 as well.

Quick Reply: 2012 Surprises