Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Wrangler - Bits and Pieces

Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide

Simple answer. Yes it is that much better.
You have to do the math to see if it's worth it. Between the premium you'll likely pay for the diesel plus the current higher per gallon cost over gas, it may take years to realize any savings. We cross shopped a Jetta TDi wagon against the gas version. The diesel was about $4k more. Plus the dealer wouldn't budge off sticker on it. But would sell the gasser at invoice. Bottom line, it would have taken over 5 years to see any savings from the diesel.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hate to admit being a slave to the cool factor, but a diesel wrangler would definitely have it.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Well i'm set to buy a 2012 if the pentastar engine performs nice and is mated with a 5 speed automatic. If I am able to pull my boat up this one mountain pass near me without having to be in first I will be very happy.

I have heard rumors of some style changes up front. I sure hope it's not much.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some where, some place, there's got to be a picture IF there is going to be a redesign.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you trade your vehicle in every 2 years, don't take long trips, tow (not so important in a wrangler), or need stump pulling torque, a diesel is not for you.

Diesel engines, generally have lower maintenance costs, get better mpg and they last forever.

Also diesel's will burn just about anything, emissions equipment might not like it, but you can even burn used (filtered) engine oil if there's no opacity sensor.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by desync0
If you trade your vehicle in every 2 years, don't take long trips, tow (not so important in a wrangler), or need stump pulling torque, a diesel is not for you.
I agree and understand your point.

Fact is, some of us are not concerned at all with minor consumption details - including who have a Hemi JK.

How about trail / mud / sand performance? On some situations, the diesel is another world. This is what makes a enjoying Jeep experience.

Jeep = 6 inline or diesel.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default From Allpar.com 3/1/11

“vwtodd” confirmed that the 2012 will include the Pentastar V6, and another source pegged horsepower at 260; it seems likely that high-end horsepower will be sacrificed for greater low-end torque. The transmission is still up for grabs, but oh2o has the WA580 going in... though some observers say it’s too long for the standard two-door Wrangler.

A diesel is being looked at, but needs to pass emissions at reasonable cost. A new automatic is planned and probably a new Fiat manual transmission, possibly with an updated transfer case (maybe bringing back a full-time setting for broader market appeal). Sheet metal changes will improve aerodynamics (strong chance of major windshield and front end redesign). There is a strong chance of some sort of "stripped" model as production line can now apply bedliner to tubs during assembly. Better quality is also expected.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea the reason I'm interested in any 'redesign' is that I'm contemplating selling my jeep now. But there are some things that just dont add that much value to your jeep after market eg. wench, bumpers etc. So what I'd like to do is just take them off and put the stock back on, sell it.. then plop them back on the new one. problem is I have no idea of they will fit the new one ><

I have no problems buying a new one, sitting it next to mine and doing a swap. But if I'm actually going to sell it, this spring is the time to do it. My 06 Jeep GC dropped almost 15% in value the day the new GC design/engine came out.

I'll be waiting a few more months to make the decision after an un named company comes out with a secret un named product tee hee.

Last edited by Dan415; 03-05-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

fuel economy in a diesel is awesome. my sisters friend has a diesel jetta. the sound isnt too bad. if you have a cat back on your jeep now that definitly makes more noise. she gets about 40 mpg. so as light as a jeep is the MPG would most likely be pretty high. not to mention diesels last a pretty long time.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepDude90
so as light as a jeep is the MPG would most likely be pretty high..
Weight is not the primary factor that makes a wrangler so bad on gas mileage. Aerodynamic drag is by far the biggest factor in steady speed fuel efficiency.

Quick Reply: 2012 Wrangler - Bits and Pieces